Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
||Thread Tools||Rate Thread|
|Wednesday 30th October 2002, 20:17||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2002
Kefalonia 1998 trip report
A Report supplied by birdtours.co.uk
Kefalonia 1998, John Jennings
THis report looks a bit flimsy. It was put into Birdtours.co.uk in a different way. Most of the sites were hyperlinked and when you clicked into them they opened up with more information. You can't do that with this report. If you want to get the most of this report go to Birdtours.co.uk and find this report and click into each site.
John Jennings visited Kefalonia between the 3rd - 17th of May 1998. The following report details the sites visited and the birds seen at each of the sites.
The most productive areas were Katelios, where he had an apartment and the Livadi Marshes.
At this time of year, the resident species were supplemented by good numbers of migrants which added increased variety to the birding.
The sites visited:
· Argostoli Lagoon Water birds including Little Bittern. Twenty species seen.
· Croda beach Eleonora's Falcon.
· Karavomilos Mainly common species.
· Katelios area Very productive area, over sixty species including waders, raptors and warblers. Best birds included Red-footed Falcon and Broad-billed Sandpiper.
· Lakithra-Mouikis Village complex Mainly common species but including Short-toed Eagle
· Livadi marshes A fine marshland area with a good variety of birds including Squacco Heron and Imperial Eagle
· Lourdas area This area and the nearby Trapezaki Beach provided a good variety of birds including Bee-eater.
· Trapezaki Beach-near Lourdas See above.
· Near Hionata Alpine Swift was the highlight.
· Near Kastro castle Short-toed Eagle and Spanish Sparrow.
· Near Poros A nice variety of birds including Rock-Bunting.
· On road to Mount Aenos summit Mountain birds including Cretzschmar's Bunting.
· Overlooking Luxori Near Katohori Sombre Tit and Black-headed Bunting were the highlights.
· Agia Evfimia
· Junction Sami Rd to Mt Aenos
· Near Andisamos beach
· Near Cape Vliotis
· Near Farsa
· Near Fiskardo
· Near Lassi
· Near Luxori
· Near Valsamata
· Near Xapakti
· Old Skala Town (close to ruins)
Kefalonia is a lovely island and one I would actually like to live on. My favourite island though is Lesvos (Lesbos). That island is stunning and the birdlife is wonderful.
|Rate This Thread|