Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 31st July 2007, 21:27   #1
HouseFinch
Self-proclaimed Birdbrain

Photographing the sun with FZ4: safe?

I love to photograph sunrises and sunsets, but am unsure of how direct sunlight affects the camera itself. If I photograph the sun when it is in the sky, and therefore not below the horizon, could this damage my camera in any way? I would kick myself if I did something inadvertently to prematurely age my beloved Lumix.

When I hear the flutter of wings, in joy my heart sings.
Old Saturday 4th August 2007, 07:34   #2
eddwillis

worry not about the camera but be very careful about your eyes. NEVER look at the sun through a lens.
Old Thursday 16th August 2007, 06:57   #3
Barred Wobbler

Depends on the circumstances I suppose. When you look at the sun through a camera it's not the same as looking at it directly through a scope or bins, you are looking at an image on a focal screen. The effect on the camera's internal bits may be different, I don't know.

I and my trusty 35mm survived these shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	820419 b Sun through trees.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	99543  Click image for larger version

Name:	820419 c Sunset.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	99544  
Old Thursday 16th August 2007, 23:38   #4
Mickymouse
Ubuntu Linux user

Don't know how relevant this is but a couple of weeks ago I was trying to photograph a Marsh Harrier in flight and as I followed it I managed to point the camera right at the sun and some sort of protection device shut the camera down so it wasn't harmed, it corrupted the memory card though.

Mick
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2007 2008
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Friday 7th September 2007, 21:35   #5
Duke Leto
Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that simple.

I'll give you a good tip, when your DSLR is connected to a 6" Newtonian telescope and your trying to photograph sun spots, do not under any circumstances let your home made solar filter (Mylar film) fall from the front of the telescope because you only used one rubber band to hold it in place, if you do the resultant problem is an instantaneous temperature increase inside the camera body which caused my shutter to warp!! It only happend for less than a second but midday sun in focus through a scope is pretty damaging, the Nikon D70s was repaired and its never missed a beat since although I haven't been brave enough to try again.....
BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Thursday 13th September 2007, 19:02   #6
HouseFinch
Self-proclaimed Birdbrain

I do have a spotting scope, but I've never attempted to take photos through it. Generally, the 12x zoom of my Lumix is enough.

I did take a couple sun shots awhile back, and those can be seen on my Flickr account; The Nature Shutterbug. Just in case though, I'll be cautious, and not do it very often. And, I never look directly at the sun, so that's not an issue. My eyes are bad enough already, so I know I want to keep what vision I do have. At least I can see the beauty of a bird's feathers! However, I mostly take still-life shots, as flowers and such don't move, unlike birds which can be hard to photograph!

When I hear the flutter of wings, in joy my heart sings.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: