Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 4th August 2007, 18:21   #51
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

I've seen this one before haven't I? Pretty sure it was in the gallery. I love the boldness of it, no need for landscape here, excellent use of colour.
Old Saturday 4th August 2007, 21:25   #52
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Another ''signature'' piece..

You seem to be able to control the watercolours very well, do you paint them in one sitting or wait for some colours to dry before adding the next to stop them running into each other?

...or is that considered cheating

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 00:31   #53
deborah4

Apologies Nick & Matt but I've removed the last few pics, they really weren't that good, tbh I need lots more practice at drawing birds I think before I can keep the thread supplied with decent paintings and sketches and there's still a quantum leap from my fieldnotes to the easel so to speak! I shall continue to enjoy other peoples work though

Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 00:40   #54
JohnZ

Oi Deborah put those piccies back please ! I was just warming to them and now they`ve gone.
Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 01:03   #55
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Oi Deborah put those piccies back please ! I was just warming to them and now they`ve gone.
LOL

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sheringham-cley (Custom).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	97687  

Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 11:13   #56
nickderry

Oh no! Rule one - the artist is not allowed to like their own work and must always hate. Rule two, we like your pictures very much so please put them back!

Of course, Deborah, you must do as you wish, if you feel there is a lot of improvement to make, this is good, no matter what level an artist reaches, there is always something new to learn and improvements to make. However, the fact we all have imporvements to make does not mean that your work is not up to 'standard', that egret to me is a sublime piece that inspired me the first time I saw it and inspired me again when it put in its fleeting visit. (I'll keep twitching the thread for it and hope it'll be relocated! :-) )
Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 16:13   #57
joannec

She can remove them if she wants cos the next ones will be even better.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 18:33   #58
deborah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannechattaway View Post
She can remove them if she wants cos the next ones will be even better.
LOL!

Seriously though, and especially Nick who's been incredibly supportive, I'm not actually trying to be an 'artist' - I gave up any idea of that many years ago when I realised it's something you must do and do and do to get even close to that definition, regardless of one's skills/ability! It's also a state of being that requires a passion. I don't have that! All my passion when into conservation and enviromentalism to help protect the very source of my inspiration in the first place and more latterly, birdwatching. In truth, the word ''artist'' makes me cringe if it's applied to me! All I do is paint and draw from time to time if I'm in the mood - which is not very often. I couldn't even call it a serious hobby compared to the effort I put into birdwatching! I do enjoy dabbling from time to time for my own pleasure, but nothing like with the serious intent that others do on this Forum. It's a little embarrasing to have these attempts referred to as ''work'' along with the real work going on elsewhere on the Forum. 'Work' implies for me, really something you do if you're an artist or take any creative pursuit seriously with the intent of continuously stretching yourself. IMO, you need the output for that and for the output, you need passion. I have neither. So in short, it all seems a bit fraudulent!!

Having said all that, I will post up something if i think people might like it (which might be better than the previous attempts, Joanne ) - I've actually done quite a lot of posters/cards etc for charity events but I don't think they'd appeal on a Fine Art Forum. Anyway, please don't hold your breath for daily sketch books, works of 'art', or passionate discussions about my non-existant ''work''

My biggest joy on this Forum is seeing other peoples work, and I think that's what I prefer to look at!

(It's all Tim's fault for showing me his stunning work and it's inter-connectedness to the beautiful location of Orkney - he inadvertently huffed and puffed on a little flame that by rights, is better to be left flickering gently in the background - and then along comes Nick with his work and more fuel is added!)

Apologies for the long post, didn't want people to think I'm being ungrateful or unappreciative, just thought I'd explain my take on it - if I have an Epiphany, I'll let you know!!

Ps. I dropped out of Art College after one Foundation Year - I really was c*ap in those days

Last edited by deborah4 : Sunday 5th August 2007 at 18:36.

Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 19:58   #59
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborah4 View Post
I've actually done quite a lot of posters/cards etc for charity events but I don't think they'd appeal on a Fine Art Forum.
Deborah

Despite the fact that there are some disgustingly talented people on this forum, it is not a ''fine art'' forum ..I think of it more as a meeting place for people who paint with varying styles, techniques, aproaches and abilities. I've never once senced any discouraging remarks on this part of the forum regarding other peoples work and ideas and that is what make it so enjoyable ..for those who paint and those who don't.

It's at least important that you recognize the fact that your Dipper and Pintail alone are genuinely bloody good little paintings and something to be proud of.

Come back to this thread and post something as and when you feel comfortable to ..in the meantime just have fun with it!!

Matt

Last edited by matt green : Sunday 5th August 2007 at 21:14.

Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 20:08   #60
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

For what it's worth, Deborah, I am one of those very impressed by your work. I really think it's excellent and I'd love to see more.
My views on art are, as long as you're enjoying what you do then that's the most important thing.
Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 21:46   #61
nickderry

Deborah, whatever you feel about your paintings, how much they mean to you or otherwise, or what your stance is on being an artist and all the other philosophical things etc, you're very welcome on here and whenever you feel like you have something to add, please do. As you say, you enjoy looking at others' pictures on here, and so do the rest of us, your pictures have brought us pleasure, and I hope that as and when you can, you'll continue to add them. I'll admit that I'm a bit of an art freak and spend most of my time painting at the moment, though last year, I did about 5 paintings all year (my weekly output at the moment). Looking forward to seeing some more of your stuff soon.
Old Sunday 5th August 2007, 22:51   #62
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter

Deborah, I find the style of your work (yes,work) refreshing and if you hadn't said you just dabble every now and again I would not have guessed, you have real talent.
Don't get bogged down with all the jargon, they're just words, be self critical by all means, we all are, but these threads have people of all stages of development who have their own particular talent and yes some artists who you or I will never get near to in the terms of brilliance, but hey, as long as you enjoy doing it, others will enjoy looking at it, no-one looks down on anyone else, as a producer of art we're all in it together. keep enjoying the forums, participating makes it all the better for everyone, don't be afraid or think your work is not as deserving as anyone elses because you don't class yourself as an artist. We all just enjoy making images of the birds we see, and find inspiration from others, simple as that.
Sorry that's my second rant this evening, too much coffee and not enough sleep I think.
Old Monday 6th August 2007, 01:34   #63
timwootton

Sorry to have 'stirred you up' Deborah, but I'm glad it had that effect - I genuinely think you have a talent and, moreover, a passion for wildlife art (the proof is in the preceding posts and the comments which they have aroused). However, i know exactly where you're coming from (having not painted a single piece for nearly a month now - oh, except yours, Nick) - and sometimes the 'burden' of having to produce stuff, just gets in the way of the pleasure of producing stuff.
I look forward to your contributions - be they written, pictorial, musical or dance -I have NO doubt they will be entertaining and stimulating.
Still adore the seals sketch!
Old Monday 6th August 2007, 07:09   #64
JohnZ

So you`re not going to put the piccies back up then........LOL
Old Sunday 12th August 2007, 01:20   #65
deborah4

Went to Rye Harbour today - didn't really get round to doing much sketching - same old problem, too busy finding birds and moving on ...

just a fieldnote (literally!) of a RC Pochard eclipse and the only thing I did actually attempt to sketch while holding binos in one hand and pencil etc in other, a Turtle Dove which was really too far away on pylons - (used spit). Also an attempt at a gull sketch while on beach the other day but had dog on lead and he wouldn't keep still:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	turtledoves.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	98878  Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd s HG sketch.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	98879  Click image for larger version

Name:	redcrested pochard colour sketch.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	99076  

Last edited by deborah4 : Sunday 12th August 2007 at 23:04.

Old Sunday 12th August 2007, 15:01   #66
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

I really like these Deb...

The Turtle Dove and Gull especialy, Multiple studies of different postures always work well, I think it was Tim who once commentd on your Hen Harrier sketch from your scottish trip as being particularly fine draughtsmanship
..well you gull is of the same quality in my opinion.

Glad you're adding to your thread again

Matt

Do not delete any of the above

Old Sunday 12th August 2007, 20:36   #67
dryslwyn

These are beautiful - especially like the turtle dove - never seen one myself.
Old Sunday 12th August 2007, 23:10   #68
deborah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green View Post

Do not delete any of the above
Lol! Didn't 'delete' the pochard exactly, just replace the fieldnote with a colour sketch done later from memory & a rather blurred photo - unfortunately I have no clear photos to work from for a detailed painting and can't find anything online to show feather detail - may try a few more another time.

For me, it was seeing both eclipsed RC and Turtle Doves, which is a bit of a novelty here, that made me want to record it but gonna need a lot more than a few rough field sketches for a decent painting!

Thanks Wendy - appreciate your comments

Old Tuesday 14th August 2007, 22:48   #69
deborah4

More HG - guess is this getting boring!?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hg in garden.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	99373  Click image for larger version

Name:	juvhggarden.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	99387  Click image for larger version

Name:	hggarden.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	99389  

Last edited by deborah4 : Wednesday 15th August 2007 at 03:46.

Old Wednesday 15th August 2007, 07:35   #70
Mouldy
skywatcher, dragonhunter

Good to see you're still posting your sketches Deborah, love your colourwork and the character of the gulls shines through in your sketches, excellent.
Old Wednesday 15th August 2007, 07:41   #71
Woody

Not at all boring! Wonderful sketches.

Woody
Old Wednesday 15th August 2007, 11:19   #72
deborah4

Cheers Woody & Mouldy - it's a test of endurance not to delete stuff within a few hours of posting it!!! There seems to be a bl**dy large psychological step between leaving the stuff in a sketchpad and posting it on the internet LOL! Only have to look out the bedroom window to see HG - nowt else about but they do have interesting personalities/social behaviour so maybe make good subjects to practice drawing on.

Old Wednesday 15th August 2007, 12:10   #73
timwootton

Great to see such in-depth study going on, Deborah. You're really getting these birds right - the second page here is particularly excellent (as they all are). If you re-read Ennion, in 'the Living Birds' he talks of getting to know birds on an individual level - as you would, say a footballer - in that you get to know the way an individual moves, not just the species. I think you're getting some of that 'character' here - don't dismiss the gulls, they're doing it for me, anyway.
Old Wednesday 15th August 2007, 22:57   #74
dryslwyn

I love them - particularly the characters in the middle image.
Old Thursday 16th August 2007, 11:44   #75
Mabel
Dance the ghost with me

I despise doing Gulls, but you've done a wonderful study here, Deborah! Nice poses.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: