Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average.
Old Sunday 27th January 2008, 10:03   #76
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo View Post
Three Rough-leggeds..
Any chance of a juvenile Roughleg on here... would look rather gorgeous with the whites on your favoured brown paper.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th January 2008, 10:19   #77
timwootton

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!!! Magical drawings of some very special birds - extremely envious of your talent (and location). Make one of these snowies into a painting, please - while the memory's really fresh.
Old Sunday 27th January 2008, 10:57   #78
ARTHUR BISHOP

I agree with Tim. superb sketching and looking forward to seeing the Owl in allits glory

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th January 2008, 11:46   #79
Woody

YES! YES! YES! Beautifully caught owls! I second Tim's comment, paint the snowy soon.
Fabulous work, fabulous birds.

Mike
Old Sunday 27th January 2008, 16:52   #80
buzzard12

Quote:
I've long been aware of the Metz' reputation as a good place to track down Snowy Owls, and given that it's less than an hour away I should have made this trip long ago. I'm completely cursed when it comes to finding owls on my own, however, so it was without great expectations that I headed out at noon (in search of white birds, in white fields, on a white snowy day, no less). I ended up with two gorgeous females, lazily looking as if they'd sat around all day waiting for me to show up. Between owls, I ran across a flock of thirty Wild Turkeys feeding in a corn field -- birds I always mistake for livestock when I first spot them, because birds just shouldn't be that big! Three Rough-leggeds, scores of Snow Buntings and some cooperative Common Redpolls finished off the winter bird theme.

A quite stunning series of field sketches of the very highest standard. Owls are probably the species i find most difficult of all strangely, have no idea why, may be the lack of seeing them much, perhaps more to do with the large rounded shapes which makes it harder to get points of reference. however, no such difficulties are apparent here, tremedous work.....
Old Monday 28th January 2008, 04:08   #81
jomo

No juvies, Ed, though some great up-close looks at a dark morph (such striking birds in flight).

I'll do my best to comply and get her painted up, though I'm going to have to think about this one a bit. White bird, white landscape, it'll be a challenge for sure.
Old Monday 28th January 2008, 09:38   #82
ed keeble

Quote:
No juvies, Ed, though some great up-close looks at a dark morph (such striking birds in flight).

I'll do my best to comply and get her painted up, though I'm going to have to think about this one a bit. White bird, white landscape, it'll be a challenge for sure.

Don't let me divert you for work in hand!

I do envy you your dark morph Roughlegs- I've got part way organised a couple of times to come out to Amherst Ont with them in mind, but things have always cropped up...

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 29th January 2008, 09:15   #83
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

these are great, great great! Like Alan, I have trouble drawing owls, perhaps just don't see enough of them, but these are stunning. Looking forward to the painting, you'll pull it off brilliantly if your snow goose is anything to go by.
Old Wednesday 30th January 2008, 18:01   #84
cjoakley

Jomo - love your work - makes me proud to be a Canuck - eh? I, too struggle with getting things finished - days instead of months hey - what a concept!!

Cheers :)
Chris
Old Thursday 31st January 2008, 03:52   #85
jomo

Made a start on the Snowy. I pondered ways to tackle this in my usual medium, couldn't see anything other than a whole lot of frustration ahead of me, so I did something I haven't done in years -- pulled out the acrylics. Thankfully none of my paints had dried up, but it took awhile to find some bristle brushes that weren't gummed up with podge or lacquer. I'd forgotten much of what I love (and hate!) about the medium, but I'm having good fun for now.

In the spirit of loosening up and trying something different that's been going on around here, I didn't bother with any preparation or sketching out -- just started smearing paint around. I haven't the foggiest where I'm going, or whether I'll end up tossing it out the window!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowy Owl 2008-01-30.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	123763  
Old Thursday 31st January 2008, 16:54   #86
cjoakley

Wow - freehand painting - totally amazing - can't wait to see the end result if the beginning is this good!

Not sure I could do anything without the preliminary sketching.

If this is an example Jomo - keep slapping that acrylic around!
Old Thursday 31st January 2008, 20:02   #87
timwootton

This one doesn't look window-bound to me. Very brave to make such a huge painting, although I suppose the scale of the bird in real life probably commands such an area. Looking forward to the progression very much.
Old Friday 1st February 2008, 04:40   #88
jomo

Thought it best to give her some surroundings before continuing with the bird, so spent the evening putting her under the elements. She's slimmed up some under the attack of grey paint, but I'll get her fattened up again tomorrow. We're scheduled to get another foot of snow between now and tomorrow evening, good weather for painting Snowies!

Chris, I don't envy you right now ... -50 with the windchill in some places out west I hear this past week, BRRR! Hope you're keeping warm!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snowy Owl 2008-01-31.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	123847  
Old Friday 1st February 2008, 07:55   #89
Woody

Looking forward to this coming on Jomo. Will it be a she or will you leave it as a he? I see the sketches you made were of a female but that shouldn't stop anyone!
Mike
Old Friday 1st February 2008, 12:17   #90
ARTHUR BISHOP

Like all looking forward to its progress

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 1st February 2008, 17:07   #91
cjoakley

Quote:
Chris, I don't envy you right now ... -50 with the windchill in some places out west I hear this past week, BRRR! Hope you're keeping warm!
Well - really! Who in their right mind would envy anyone that lives where it gets this cold - who in their right mind would live here?? Oh right - me!!

More normal people stay inside - we on the other hand had a shopping day a couple of hours away yesterday - but then it was a balmy -22...lol

Yup - it has been down that low here too but thankfully rarely lasts more than a few days - it's on it's way back up to a more normal -12 to -15 which in our very dry neck of the woodless realm is not really all that bad :)

No worries - great birding here - you can see for miles - almost every tree or shrub has a nest - every puddle of water simply teems with life - there are raptors galore and this area is on a major flyway so everything under the sun shows up here at one time or another ...oh and my daughter and grandkids live here!!

Love the way you've added in the elements Jomo - this is going to be a fantastic snowy!
Old Friday 1st February 2008, 20:06   #92
nickderry

can't wait to see this one completed, already it makes the forecast for snow here seem a little more cheerful!
Old Saturday 2nd February 2008, 17:57   #93
jomo

Oh, the horror!

No sex changes for Snowy, Woody, though if I'd gone with a good strong light source I may have been tempted to take the artistic license.

Due to yesterday's inclement weather, my employers decided to close up shop for the day (for the safety of all us commuters). And here I thought I was too old for snow days! So I shut myself in (after a good wave from my balcony to those poor souls inching by on the roadway), laid out the paints, and got to work with a good dose of early optimism. I fattened out the bird, laid down a basecoat in preparation for all that white, and them promptly watched it all go downhill from there. I spent a lot of time fussing with the wing, trying to get the position of the primaries and the looseness of the terts to looks right. Next was the head, which I painted, repainted, and repainted again several times throughout the afternoon. By last night she looked like an irate stuffed cat, and I really wanted nothing more than to snap the board over my knee.

I took another whack at it this morning, and I think I'm much more pleased with it now. She's a lot more alert (no more slitty cat's eyes), and I spent some time determining how the planes of the face should sit. It's not as loose as I'd originally intended, but at least now I feel I have somewhere to go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snowy Owl 2008-02-01-1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	124036  Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowy Owl 2008-02-01-3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	124037  Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowy Owl 2008-02-02-1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	124038  
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 08:33   #94
Woody

Keep it going there. Sometimes I think we hit a 'pain barrier' with paintings but, if we can get through that, it's almost always worth the effort.

Mike
Old Monday 4th February 2008, 11:07   #95
nickderry

you'll get there, glad to see someone else changing a picture so much, I think you've got the form right now, just need to slap her into shape.
Old Tuesday 26th February 2008, 02:29   #96
jomo

With spring just around the corner (even if the days are still too damn cold!), I felt it best to finish this one up before the warm weather hits and I completely lose interest in all things wintery. So this past weekend I newspapered up the coffee table, queued up a marathon of House episodes and forced myself to sit and work at it until she was done. We've been battling a lot these past few weeks, her and I, and I think we'll both be glad to get away from one another.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snowy Owl 2008-02-24.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	127749  
Old Tuesday 26th February 2008, 03:37   #97
cjoakley

Already commented on your snowy in the gallery...but had to pop in to say Wow just one more time for effect!! lol
Old Tuesday 26th February 2008, 09:02   #98
timwootton

Oh, well done! She's stunning - wonderful atmosphere and just the amount of detail needed to describe the form. So glad you continued and, I bet when the dust has settled, so will you be. Love it!
Old Tuesday 26th February 2008, 09:33   #99
Woody

And she's a beauty! You've caught that 'flat' light that comes with heavy snow perfectly.

Mike
Old Tuesday 26th February 2008, 10:59   #100
nickderry

the battle is over, and both sides win! She's a beauty indeed, very atmospheric, a dull snowy day with a snowy owl to brighten it up. Bet youre glad to have finished it.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: