Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 21:51   #51
Botaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karwin
It does have some Tadorna looks on Anas platyrhynchos. I recall having seen domestic ducks with a crest like that. Last weekend I saw a flock of 11 platyrhynchos on the sea, and at least two of them were melanistic with white breast (a bit like this one that I saw last spring).
Melanism as in the face of the depicted duck I understand, sort of. Human encouraged it by selective breeding, and those with such human-breed all white escapee ancestors are likelier to show some of it. As our human forebearers really liked to have white fowl, we have got so many wild ducks with white accents where should be none now.
But what about the showy "hairdo"? There are many ducks that come with natural hoods of different forms, but I thought an Aythya, Mergus or Aix can not interbreed with dabblers.
Old Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 22:38   #52
Botaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
If anyone wants to look at wildlife art on the web check out this site http://www.natureartists.com/artists/
Some excellent, some good, some OK, some not so good, some not worth bothering with, but all a lot more interesting than work!

One of the best on the site IMHO is Michael Dumas.

Woody
What a nice site, Woody!
This might get me accused of purely national preference, but I am most impressed by the surreal paintings of Harro Maass, that seem more about wildlife art as such than just wildlife. The picture with the shorebirds gathering on the easel is fascinating.
Also, I think that Diane Burns is phantastic. An unusual challenging technique...
Old Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 23:35   #53
ashrich
Registered , should be certified .......

Evening all , I have to say that my favourite bird artists are ....( roll of drums ! ) C F Tunnicliffe , Arthur Singer , Rev. F.O.Morris ( for the naiveity ) and a aquaintance of mine called Mark Chester , excellent birds and a damn good all round wildlife artist ( do NOT confuse with Mark . I . Chester , who I do not associate with AT ALL !! )

Ashley

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 23:56   #54
ashrich
Registered , should be certified .......

Forgot to mention ( especially as I have 2 of his prints ) Edward Lear , Gannets and Snowy Owls , seems I agree with James Armstrong on this and Rev F.O.Morris , of whose I have 3 prints !!

Ashley

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 21st November 2004, 16:16   #55
Gone Pecan

A Newby to this Forum (Bird Artists)

This is my first post on this site. I simply love to collect books and prints of birds and wildlife (the older the better). But I am a bargain hunter as well as a cheapskate when possible (actually always). Although I am from Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Audubon did live up the road from me in St. Francisville for a time many years ago I'm not a big fan of his art works. I know it is really old "hat" and most of his prints are beyond our means but I really do love John Gould prints. Since I can't afford to buy any of his prints from the hummingbird series or the Birds of Australia or New Guinea I have purchased some older books that contain all the prints from these series from the 1960's at a good price. I do have about 6 original lithos from Goulds Birds Of Great Britain along with their description pages (3 of shore birds and 3 of game birds) left to me from my Aunt from England, which probably got me interested in birds and wildlife. All in all I'm not crazy about bird photos, I like paintings or lithos.

Check this artist - http://www.murrellbutlerstudio.com
Old Sunday 21st November 2004, 23:44   #56
craig whitmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Armstrong
Definitely! If you haven't visited Woody's website you should! [url=http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk] Anyone ever seen Edward Lear's bird paintings? They're pretty amazing! Also the Rev. F.O. Morris.

james
James: Thanks much for the kink.

Woody---WOW you've opened a whole new world for me at the tender age of 83. Beautiful work.
Craig

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 13th March 2005, 10:48   #57
Motmot
Eduardo Amengual

I can´t believe nobody has mentioned Guy Tudor, he´s IMO the best illustrator for bird ID books. His paintings on Neotropical birds are simply the BEST.
Old Sunday 13th March 2005, 18:33   #58
John Cantelo

There are so many that one could pick that it's an impossible task! Audubon for his decorative beauty - not everyone's taste but you have to view tham in the context of his time. Warren for his similarly gorgeous eye for attractive design. Enion for the purity of his line. Daly for the lightness of his brush work. Jonsson for the deft way his birds look alive yet somehow detailed (even when they're not). Peter Hayman for the detailed accuracy of his work. Killian Mullarney and, let's not forget, Dan Zetterstrom for the stunning practicality and beauty of the Collins guide (although their non-illustrative work is better). Peter Scott for the atmosphere. Keith Brockie for the magic of the fleeting moment. Oh and about a dozen more that don't come to mind. The one name I'm surprised to see mentioned, and more than once, is that of Arthur Singer whose work I have oft subjected to the ultimate slur - I reckon that (on a good day) I could do better! John
Old Sunday 13th March 2005, 20:01   #59
Julian Sykes Wildlife
Jules Sykes

Well for personal reasons I would have to say Trevor Boyer (Eagle Star Ins, etc) , his attention to detail is simply magnificent, he is also a really nice guy too.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2005, 14:58   #60
guillaume

Without any doubt, the artists whom I venerate are: Louis Agassiz Fuertes and Lars Jonsson.
Old Wednesday 6th April 2005, 15:14   #61
jurek

There are many great artists, and I know few of more artistic types.

Probably Ian Lewington for his stylised lbjs. Amazing how much character one can put into Garden Warbler.

Chris Rose is also very good. His woodpeckers make you crave to look closer and turn the page to see the habitat behind.

I also admire some old fashioned XVIII-XIX century paintings with bird on the background of jungle-covered gorges and mountains. Makes you dream of the old times when wilderness was still impassable and full of wild beasts. :)
Old Wednesday 6th April 2005, 15:53   #62
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Steve Cale.
Old Monday 11th April 2005, 01:53   #63
Bob Beck

Scientist and artist.

I appreciate Doug Pratt both for his art and particulary for his continuing contribution to the science of Pacific Avifauna (Hawaiian birds, Pacific field guide, Hawaii bird finding guides, soon to come more illustrations and field guides for oceania?).
Old Thursday 14th April 2005, 02:24   #64
swamp_rattler

so many good ones, but Ian Lewington is my favorite, but I also feel Tim Worfolk is great and so is Larry McQueen. Others include John Cox, James Coe, Killian Mullarney, Thomas Schultz, John Schmidt, Peter Burke...well, I could go on but I'll quit before I get to carried away.
Old Thursday 14th April 2005, 19:35   #65
mini-colster

There might be some better artist for me out there, but at the moment my favourite bird artist is Martin Ridley. I like his work because of the mood he creates; not based on how accurate his drawing of birds are.

He creates these wonderful oil paintings, and uses lighting effects in them. It just makes me feel good. You can look at his site by doing a google image search for wildlife paintings, it should be the first one.

Cheers, Mark
Old Friday 15th April 2005, 19:13   #66
John Marshall

My thread on the 28 Oct 03' still stands, for wildfowl Peter Scott supreme and Martin Ridley still extra special.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 17th April 2005, 21:19   #67
derekjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marshall
My thread on the 28 Oct 03' still stands, for wildfowl Peter Scott supreme and Martin Ridley still extra special.
HI JOHN ,
HOPE YOUR KEEPING WELL , MARTIN RIDLEYS PAINTING FIRST ARRIVALS , GREAT PAINTING OF PINKS ,
TWO OTHER PAINTERS I LIKE ARE SIMON TRINDER AND JULIAN NOVERLL , I HAVE A PAINTING WHICH SIMON PAINTED FOR ME ITS PINKS COMING OF BOB HALL SANDS FLYING OVER LONG WATER WITH THE EAST HILLS IN THE BACKGROUND ,
READ YOUR POST THAT YOU KNEW KENSIE , HAVE THE BOOK ABOUT HIS LIFE HE SURE WAS A RUM OLD BOY ,
I WONDER IF MANKA IS STILL AT WIGTOWN BAY OR IF HE HAS MADE HIS WAY BACK TO ICELAND YET, LIKE YOU I HOPE HE RETURNS TO NORFOLK .
TAKE CARE JOHN .
REGARDS DEREKJAKE.
Old Thursday 21st April 2005, 13:12   #68
graham_t

Surprising not to see any Mention of John Busby on this thread. Probably the best since Ennion for depicting bird movement. His book Birds in Mallorca is worth seeking out as are his books on how to draw birds.
I was trying to work out why I found Lars Jonsson's Birds and Light slightly dissapointing and I think it is that although the bird portraiture is excellent, almost all the birds are static. Also the frequently convoluted text.
I'd also mention Kim Atkinson, I haven't seen a lot of her work but she produces some challenging and adventurous work. A picture of hers appeared in the RSPB Birds magazine a while back of birds in a stubble field that caught my eye.
A couple of examples of her work appear in Modern Wildlife Painting by Nicholas Hammond. I'd recommend this book as it covers a wide range of artists and styles. I got it from the Birdnet website at Xmas for half price £17.50, I think. Its still advertised there, but it doesn't seem to have been revised for some time so you would have to check availability
Old Thursday 21st April 2005, 18:41   #69
Vick2903

I have to say my favourite bird artist is the late Frank Jarvis - who passed away in the last five years - he has helped write and illustrate several books on Birds - Guide to Birds of Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore is one I can think of - He also had his own Studio - but without a doubt he was a really loverly guy
Old Thursday 28th April 2005, 19:44   #70
Periscope

Worth a look

Hello to you all,

I'm from Canada and just want you to take a look at one great artist we have here. As a painter his only subjects are birds. The name is Jean-Luc Grondin and I assure you that his work is really worth a look. Some of his work is absolutely breathtaking, the movement in his paintings is unsurpassed and the precision of his touch is magnificient, the details... Well, no words would give an acurate testimony. Have simply a look. You will be glad you did. Go to this site for a sample : www.artandnature.com/grondin.html

Enjoy!

Periscope
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 10:02   #71
Nick Dalton

The latest Eric Ennion publication from the Wildlife Art Gallery is pretty sensational.

I have 5 or 6 Keith Brockie books, but what has happened to him? I've not heard anything of him for 7 or 8 years.
Old Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 11:10   #72
RecoveringScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dalton
The latest Eric Ennion publication from the Wildlife Art Gallery is pretty sensational.

I have 5 or 6 Keith Brockie books, but what has happened to him? I've not heard anything of him for 7 or 8 years.
He's still busy:

http://www.keithbrockie.co.uk/keith.htm
Old Wednesday 4th May 2005, 16:36   #73
jacana
Will Jones

Colin Wolf, although i do like John Gould's hummingbirds...
Old Monday 11th July 2005, 22:42   #74
MMSLouis

William T Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D
Mine is without a doubt the late Dr Eric Ennion.

His straight-line representation and ability to capture the essence of the bird - - - - leaves me speachless! He had the ability to capture the feeling of the bird.

Tunnicliffe is excellent, no argument. But to capture the feeling of the wader on the saltmarsh I don't need to see every single feather. No, just the way I normally see the real live bird.

Dr. E.A.R. Ennion used to illustrate the old Bird Notes for the RSPB and I wish I had saved some of the copies I received. Ah well, hindsight!

The reception area on Brownsea Island had (and may still have) several originals of EARE's work. I am not of criminal leanings, but if I were - watch out Brownsea!

William Cooper supplied the illustrations for the book on parrots by Joseph Forshaw. He has also done work for books on kingfishers and the like, birds of paradise, and a set of prints of turacos (not as a book)
Old Monday 19th September 2005, 23:07   #75
Martin Smyth
For a minute there I lost myself

I recently picked up a Gem of abook at a Warwick second hand bookshop,the book in question is called "VANISHING EAGLES" by Philip Burton,and the art work by Trevor boyer is simply stunning,the originals must be quite awsome.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: