Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Tuesday 5th November 2013, 16:10   #151
merulo

Smile Favourite bird artist

They're all trotting after Ray Harris-Ching..
Old Wednesday 6th November 2013, 12:23   #152
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jascha777 View Post
Staggered nobody had mentioned Darren Rees,without question one if the very finest,and unquestionably the best called Darren!!!!
Had the pleasure of talking to Darren Rees the other day- there's no doubt in recent years he has moved to the what you might call on this forum the dark side: animal paintings (North America, Spitsbergen) as much as, maybe more than, those pesky birds.

Always intriguing to see Harris Ching getting an adoring mention- i hate to think how many hours I spent trying to copy his work in the readers digest book of birds in the 1970s. Wonderful stuff tho' I'm not sure he has ever been what you would call birding as such. Does that matter? It does to me- I'm always looking for a sense of the artist's excitement about what he/she is seeing or has seen and that you don't get from some of the otherwise finest of bird paintings.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 6th November 2013, 13:46   #153
timwootton

. . . absolutely. It's all about love, not technique - without that there's no content. Erm, In my humble opinion :)
Old Thursday 7th November 2013, 17:49   #154
merulo

Seem to have stirred up something here...
Harris Ching undoubtedly makes lots of artists feel uncomfortable. He uses realism as simply another tool in his armoury rather than as an end in itself. This is evident comparing his work with other supreme realists like Carl Brenders, George McClean or Alan Hunt. Harris Ching seems to transcend this approach in his art. You sense the technique, though consummate, is always secondary, even trivial, to the artistic goal. Hardly any other artist ever attains or has attained this level of mastery.
Perhaps the only way for other artists of ability and honesty, when confronted with his work, is to turn two blind eyes, or if pushed, to disparage or even deride him.
Old Thursday 7th November 2013, 21:36   #155
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by merulo View Post
Harris Ching undoubtedly makes lots of artists feel uncomfortable. He uses realism as simply another tool in his armoury rather than as an end in itself. This is evident comparing his work with other supreme realists like Carl Brenders, George McClean or Alan Hunt. Harris Ching seems to transcend this approach in his art. You sense the technique, though consummate, is always secondary, even trivial, to the artistic goal. Hardly any other artist ever attains or has attained this level of mastery.
Perhaps the only way for other artists of ability and honesty, when confronted with his work, is to turn two blind eyes, or if pushed, to disparage or even deride him.
I have no reason whatsoever to criticize Ching and so I'm not going to. All I can say is that while I can see the skill involved I'm not moved in any way and that's what's always most important to me. It has nothing to do with blind eyes, disparagement or derision. That's your take on the matter.

I happened to pick up John Busby's book Drawing Birds yesterday and was flipping through it for probably the 20th or 30th time. Just about every one in there could qualify for my 'Favorite Bird Artist.'

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 7th November 2013, 21:57   #156
John Cantelo

Although I can admire his technique, I often find something stilted about Ray Harris-Tring's work - somehow akin to stuffed animals vs the real thing. I was never an admirer of his Readers' Digest work. Paschalis Dougalis (for some reason I can't copy & paste his blog page or website details - Google them) in contrast always seems to be able to combine masterful technique and yet keep the birds alive.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Friday 8th November 2013, 21:25   #157
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by merulo View Post
He's your favourite and that's the title of the thread. He's not mine, that's all chill
Old Sunday 10th November 2013, 08:53   #158
merulo

OK, sorry for raising hackles, however appropriate that might be in a combative bird art forum. I'm just very surprised that nobody else seems to share my opinion.

Some years ago, Alan Harris, a very fine bird artist himself, wrote a comprehensive article on bird illustration from the nineteenth century to the nineties. Guess which bird guide and illustrator was omitted. Hint-not the RAC guide to British Birds.
It took Harris-Ching under two years to finish this stupendous body of work, apparently exhausting himself and his finances in the process.
Look at it this way, Robert Gillmor produced some beautiful illustrations and some excellent line drawings, all unfairly miniaturised, for every bird in this guide. But does anyone remember this book for his work?
Old Sunday 10th November 2013, 11:59   #159
birdboybowley

Well I think Harris-Ching's work is stellar too! That famous painting of the Takahe is mind-blowing, his use of light & colour is just fantastic. I've got three of his books and can spend a fair while just thumbing through the pages

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 10th November 2013, 20:08   #160
timwootton

it's a good discussion but like music, so subjective. It would be good to get a few critiques about the selected favourites.
Old Monday 18th November 2013, 21:44   #161
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Hello all,

I have a real fondness for the work of Louis Agassiz Fuertes, who was an artist and ornithologist. I recently purchased Eaton's Birds of New York 1912, 1914, which has more than one hundred colour plates by him. The work is available on the web, as well. I attach one of his better paintings from that work. Unfortunately, the quality of American printing, a century, ago, was not top notch.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hooded mergansers.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	473316  
Old Wednesday 20th November 2013, 13:37   #162
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Hello all,

I have a real fondness for the work of Louis Agassiz Fuertes, who was an artist and ornithologist. I recently purchased Eaton's Birds of New York 1912, 1914, which has more than one hundred colour plates by him. The work is available on the web, as well. I attach one of his better paintings from that work. Unfortunately, the quality of American printing, a century, ago, was not top notch.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
He's a very appealing artist. I always kick myself for not knowing about him nor looking at his work when I was a student at Cornell. Even now when I could see his work at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia I don't. There is a very good book on him by a member of the Academy, Robert McCracken Peck, that can often be picked up used for a small price. I'd recommend it highly.

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd November 2013, 19:03   #163
merulo

Ladybirds

Has anybody yet held a torch for John Leigh-Pemberton or Arthur Singer. The ladybird books were fantastic for me at least as a kid and "Birds of the World" by Mr Singer, was "mindblowing". The picture of that nasty looking harpy eagle with its lunch - a lovely Hyacinth Macaw....
Old Saturday 23rd November 2013, 21:15   #164
ed keeble

[quote=merulo;2875801d "Birds of the World" by Mr Singer, was "mindblowing". The picture of that nasty looking harpy eagle with its lunch - a lovely Hyacinth Macaw....[/QUOTE]

What a nice reminder of the glorious work- that pic was absolutely a formative influence. But I fear my generation is scarred by Singer's pics for the Hamlyn guide where having the book actually made identifying eg phylloscs harder than having no book at all!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 24th November 2013, 18:05   #165
John Cantelo

Further to my earlier comment, on the excellence of Paschalis Douglas'swork, my computer has now decided that it will allow me to copy & paste website addresses. So do have a look at the work on the sites below:
http://dougalis-wildlifeart.blogspot.com/‎
www.dougalis-art.com/‎
www.facebook.com/paschalis.dougalis
I particularly commend the Facebook option as it's a delight to have his artwork pop up on a regular basis. I love the delicacy of his work and the way in which he always retains that living spark which some artists kill with overmuch detail. Check out his drawings of black birds - never easy, but he carries it off sublimely. Unlike other artists he seems equally at home portraying all sorts of wildlife and some of the human portraits on his site are amongs my favourites. Do have a look!

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/

Last edited by John Cantelo : Sunday 24th November 2013 at 18:13.
Old Saturday 25th January 2014, 10:06   #166
Tommycasper

Have to say my favourite artist beyond a doubt is Trevor Boyer, his attention to detail is extraordinary and so accurate .....I do have some of his works in my home.......and I have just come across a website selling new work I am so excited. Have a look guys you won't be disappointed if you love wild birds like I do.... www.trevorboyer.co.uk
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: