Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 13th October 2007, 10:49   #1
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

TAMRAC EXPEDITION 4 anyone tried this rucksack?

I'm looking for a rucksack but can't afford the Lowenpro. The Tamrac seems OK from the website.
I need it to take Canon 40D + 100-400 with 1.4 TC. The overall length of this kit is 285mm (with lensehood reversed) but the bag is advertised as only 280mm deep. I imagine it will give a bit-any advise appreciated.
BF Supporter 2008 2009
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Sunday 14th October 2007, 16:59   #2
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

I'm just 'bumping' this in the hope of a response-would like to buy one this week so would appreciate any advice.
BF Supporter 2008 2009
Old Sunday 14th October 2007, 17:54   #3
postcardcv
Super Moderator

I've not used this bag but have recently got an Expedition 8 and am very happy with it. The moveable dividers make it very easy to keep all your gear safe and secure and the bag seems very well made. The harness is excellent and it sits very nicely on my back, I can happily carry it for a full days birding. There is a bit of movement in it, so if you don't fill it to the side I'm sure you'll be able to egde a bit out at the end... that said I'd be inclided to get the next one up. Personally I'd rather not have to squeeze my gear into the bag.
BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Monday 15th October 2007, 10:32   #4
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
I've not used this bag but have recently got an Expedition 8 and am very happy with it. The moveable dividers make it very easy to keep all your gear safe and secure and the bag seems very well made. The harness is excellent and it sits very nicely on my back, I can happily carry it for a full days birding. There is a bit of movement in it, so if you don't fill it to the side I'm sure you'll be able to egde a bit out at the end... that said I'd be inclided to get the next one up. Personally I'd rather not have to squeeze my gear into the bag.
Thanks Postcard. I've taken note of your advice and gone for the Expedition 5 which is 30mm wider and 60mm deeper.
Just a note for anyone trying to save money with a cheap rucksack-DONT!! A couple of days ago the zip simply split open while on my back-the camera with 100-400 fell straight out. Fortunately I was on grass so it 'bounced' and everything still works fine but it could easily have been a disaster.
BF Supporter 2008 2009
Old Monday 15th October 2007, 20:41   #5
Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
Just a note for anyone trying to save money with a cheap rucksack-DONT!! A couple of days ago the zip simply split open while on my back-the camera with 100-400 fell straight out. Fortunately I was on grass so it 'bounced' and everything still works fine but it could easily have been a disaster.
I don't know about the Tamrac 5, but the 7 & 8 both have a couple of compressions straps. It's worth getting into the habit of fastening them since they will hold the case closed even if the zip goes.

Bill
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Thursday 25th October 2007, 15:10   #6
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

This is just for information if anyone else is looking for a new bag. I got the TAMRAC 5 and it looks to be very well made. It takes the 20D with 100-400 attached (lense hood inverted) and has room for lots of other cameras/lenses if separate.
It has room for a lightweight jacket.
No space for a drinks bottle although you can purchase TAMRAC'S own carrier as an add on
All in all I would recommend the make as it's a good solid bag at what seems to be 1/3rd of the Lowenpro price.
Thanks Postcard & Watts for your input
BF Supporter 2008 2009
Old Wednesday 15th October 2008, 23:51   #7
buile

Has anyone used a Tamrac backpack to carry a full-size tripod? The photos show smaller tripods. Using the external dimensions, it's clear a large tripod will extend quite a bit above the backpack.

I'm curious as to how others deal with toting a spotting scope plus large tripod, as well as binocs, etc for a full day.

I currently use a laptop bag for the scope, binocs, books and snacks on one shoulder, and the tripod bag slung over the other. Workable for 8 hours, but there has to be a more ergonomic way.
Old Thursday 16th October 2008, 20:34   #8
rupertbox

Hi there ,I have the TAMRAC 6 and i use a full tripod ,The bag with the tripod works pretty well and i also use it to carry my scope and dslr .
I found the bag to be really good for the money

Cheers
Jen

Last edited by rupertbox : Thursday 16th October 2008 at 20:34. Reason: spelling
Old Tuesday 21st October 2008, 12:18   #9
buile

Thanks for the feedback, Jen.
Old Friday 7th August 2009, 14:54   #10
lmans66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertbox View Post
Hi there ,I have the TAMRAC 6 and i use a full tripod ,The bag with the tripod works pretty well and i also use it to carry my scope and dslr .
I found the bag to be really good for the money

Cheers
Jen
Jen...do you feel the six has enough room for all your camera gear and laptop too,r ight? Would it fit well under an airplane seat?... Do you have room to put other little things such as a magazine or candy bars etc if you travel with it? thanks, jim
BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Old Monday 10th August 2009, 18:46   #11
rupertbox

Hi Jim

I think you maybe ok to get it on a plane , but i wouldnt want to put it under the seat as it becomes a bit bauky ,I have had a laptop ,500m lens,dslr binos ipod and food and travel documents and still had room for other things.

How far did you want to travel with it ?as after a while i find my shoulders hurt ,but that more to do with the weight of everything i am carrying .

Kind regards
Jen
Old Monday 17th August 2009, 17:04   #12
lmans66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertbox View Post
Hi Jim

I think you maybe ok to get it on a plane , but i wouldnt want to put it under the seat as it becomes a bit bauky ,I have had a laptop ,500m lens,dslr binos ipod and food and travel documents and still had room for other things.

How far did you want to travel with it ?as after a while i find my shoulders hurt ,but that more to do with the weight of everything i am carrying .

Kind regards
Jen
Jen...I will not have a full size laptop....just a netbook of sorts. But it has to padded and the Expedition allows for that. I would travel quite along ways and I usually get the aisle seat which is a bit smaller than underneath the other seats. I am looking at expedition 5 at the moment just because it is a bit smaller than the others above it.

Either way, traveling is a complete bugger but if I can save a bag (laptop and camera items all in one bag) I free up at least one shoulder.... jim
BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: