• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1D MkIV is here. (1 Viewer)

hollis_f

Official announcement.

Main features:

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV – key features:

* New 16.1 Megapixel APS-H CMOS sensor
* 10 frames per second continuous shooting
* Up to 121 large JPEG images in a single burst
* New 45-point wide area AF with 39 cross-type sensors with f/2.8 sensitivity
* High-speed Dual “DIGIC 4” processors for superb image quality
* 12,800 high ISO expandable up to 102,400
* Full HD movie recording at 30, 25 and 24 frames per second
* 3.0” Clear View II LCD with Live View mode
* Durable dust and water resistant body with 76 rubber seals
* Compatible with all Canon EF lenses, and Speedlite EX flashes
* Also available - new EOS-1D Mark IV Wireless Transmitter WFT-E2 II (also compatible with existing Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2)​

A quick look at that leads me to believe that I made the right choice getting the 7D.

* New 45-point wide area AF with 39 cross-type sensors with f/2.8 sensitivity
* High-speed Dual “DIGIC 4” processors for superb image quality
* 12,800 high ISO expandable up to 102,400
* Full HD movie recording at 30, 25 and 24 frames per second

well full HD was always going to be there are was the extreme high ISO... I'm interested by the '39 cross-type sensors with f/2.8 sensitivity', seems like a step up that could help the AF system. It also good to see that they have gone back to having all 45 points selectable, not limited to 19 points as it is in the mkIII.

No surprises a few days afer Nikon announces the D3s with even better low light capabilities

No surprises a few days afer Nikon announces the D3s with even better low light capabilities
I think you'd be hard pushed to conclude this before anyone's got their hands on a MKIV. The ISO 3200 example on canon's website appears to have actually been taken in low light conditions, which makes a change - a lot of sample images at high ISO tend to be exposed to the right and in good conditions, which doesn't really make them 'real world' examples.

I've seen a ISO 102,400 image posted on the net. The image was unrecognisable. I really, really hope it's not representative.

well full HD was always going to be there are was the extreme high ISO... I'm interested by the '39 cross-type sensors with f/2.8 sensitivity', seems like a step up that could help the AF system. It also good to see that they have gone back to having all 45 points selectable, not limited to 19 points as it is in the mkIII.

I think 19 selectable AF points are just fine - I think 45 points selectable are more sales gimmick, only a benefit theoretically - not in practice really :)

I think 19 selectable AF points are just fine - I think 45 points selectable are more sales gimmick, only a benefit theoretically - not in practice really :)

I'm guessing you've never used an original 1D or a mkII... I've got a mkII and the 45 selectable AF points and very useful. When the mkIII was launched the reduction to 19 selectable point was a negative for a lot of users. If you ike to compose your shots in camera then having as many selectable points as possible is a real plus.

I'm guessing you've never used an original 1D or a mkII... I've got a mkII and the 45 selectable AF points and very useful. When the mkIII was launched the reduction to 19 selectable point was a negative for a lot of users. If you ike to compose your shots in camera then having as many selectable points as possible is a real plus.

have to agree ,
i do find for my studio work there never seems to be a point that i can pick out of the 19 that will get me on the eyes of my model without me have to move ,its only a little but gets anoying on a 3 hour shoot.
Rob.

I have tried out the 1D Mk IIN twice for more hours. I was considering to buy a used MK II N in mint condition with under 10000 actuations shortly before I decided to buy my present camera. Maybe I should have had longer time to experience the benefits of a 1D camera. Although I did find the 2 buton combinations a bit akward to use. I must admit, that I was not playing very much with the selectable AF points. But I cannot imagine that I would ever need more that 19 points, but maybe this attitude is more due to my own style of shooting.

Last edited:
have to agree ,
i do find for my studio work there never seems to be a point that i can pick out of the 19 that will get me on the eyes of my model without me have to move ,its only a little but gets anoying on a 3 hour shoot.
Rob.

I don't doubt that you are right. But I at least wouldn't buy a 1D4 for studio work. I am surprised that anyone can make use of that many AF points in nature/action shooting - I have enough problems with the 9 points offered by my 40D:-O

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back