• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

24/7 Raspberry Pi/birdNET monitoring (4 Viewers)

Any tutorials on how to use birdNET analyser? I've installed it and it works fine when using short clips. When uploading longer .wav files the file appears not to be there on completion.

some interesting Spring Migration Stats for our Garden in Essex

Chiffchaff (maybe overwintering one) leading the way, followed by Blackcap (very active now), then House Martins (note March instance not correct, treat 6th April as first actual plot (I saw with my own eyes visiting nest front of house too), last week Swallows, and as of yesterday Lesser Whitethroat and today Garden Warbler (both quite active).

So far (over 4 months) - 93,000 bird recordings !

I've also included a plot of Med Gulls over last 2 months, I find with a lot of these recordings the changes fascinating, as in with the Med Gulls, big peak mid-April but hardly heard them since

made some tweaks to the BirdNET Pi - I've downclocked and undervolted the Pi 4b - so get around 26 hours with a 20,000 maH battery.

I also bought a cheap waterproof box for it - Masterplug Weatherproof Electric Box for Outdoors

Attachments

• Spring Migration.png
    Spring Migration.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Med Gull.png
    Med Gull.png
    32 KB · Views: 4
  • Chart-24-04-24.PNG
    Chart-24-04-24.PNG
    49.8 KB · Views: 4
Might well have missed:

Lesser Whitethroat - didn't hear myself but recording checks out - never heard in garden before either.
Garden Warbler - didn't hear myself but recording checks out - never heard in garden before either.
Overflying night birds - Moorhen, Coot, Water Rail - had no clue - have never heard myself.
Siskin - consistently detected not seen or heard personally from garden.
Snipe - detected but not seen or heard personally from garden.
Goldcrest and Firecrest - picked up daily - was not totally convinced as only 5-6 large conifers back of garden. I spent days and days looking and caught a glimpse of one of the other (was too quick to tell which) - so more convinced they are there I've just not seen.
Overflying waders, Dunlin, Avocet (good few times detected) etc

In the winter - Redwing - hadn't seen any - or heard any (but not been outside in garden for periods of time) - yet for a few months Redwing was in top 10 !

Missed first instances of

House Martin - it detected before we saw.
Swallow - it is detecting but despite looking not seen yet

Might well have missed:

Lesser Whitethroat - didn't hear myself but recording checks out - never heard in garden before either.
Garden Warbler - didn't hear myself but recording checks out - never heard in garden before either.
Overflying night birds - Moorhen, Coot, Water Rail - had no clue - have never heard myself.
Siskin - consistently detected not seen or heard personally from garden.
Snipe - detected but not seen or heard personally from garden.
Goldcrest and Firecrest - picked up daily - was not totally convinced as only 5-6 large conifers back of garden. I spent days and days looking and caught a glimpse of one of the other (was too quick to tell which) - so more convinced they are there I've just not seen.
Overflying waders, Dunlin, Avocet (good few times detected) etc

In the winter - Redwing - hadn't seen any - or heard any (but not been outside in garden for periods of time) - yet for a few months Redwing was in top 10 !

Missed first instances of

House Martin - it detected before we saw.
Swallow - it is detecting but despite looking not seen yet
Same story here on Goldcrest (we don't get Firecrest up here) and I've seen them plus the sonogram is quite clear.
Garden Warblers personally I need more reassuring, I heard an unfamiliar song in the local park the other day but I think it was what they call the 'long song' of a Blackcap. In the past birdNET used to struggle on splitting the two but hopefully it has improved.

Same story here on Goldcrest (we don't get Firecrest up here) and I've seen them plus the sonogram is quite clear.
Garden Warblers personally I need more reassuring, I heard an unfamiliar song in the local park the other day but I think it was what they call the 'long song' of a Blackcap. In the past birdNET used to struggle on splitting the two but hopefully it has improved.

I believe BirdNET was correct with Garden Warbler and that my manual listening to confirm (you never know I could be in error too) is also correct

I did also check against Merlin

I think this is better representation (first part of clip - with the downturn in tone at end of call)

can anyone confirm whether they think this one is Cettis please ? detected twice and sounds like it to me but would be unusual for my garden. First recording is followed by a Blue Tit. One recording in January, one in March

Users who are viewing this thread

Back