• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Day in Sunny Mexico (1 Viewer)

SueO

4/21/22

Grand Bay Hotel
Barra de Navidad
Jalisco, Mexico

Leisurely birded the grounds of the hotel in my flip flops today rather than doing a long walk in the hills. Got a lifer for the second day in a row. Yesterday was a Bell's Vireo, today was a Golden-crowned Emerald Hummingbird..

It was such a beautiful morning. I could smell the ocean in the air and the sprinklers were going on much of the grounds, releasing the scents of earth and plants. The sun was out, no clouds, about eighty degrees with just enough breeze to keep it from feeling too hot. I was out for about an hour and a half. It was such a great way to start the day. I don't bird much at home anymore; I find the noise and crowds takes too much of the enjoyment out of it. I realize I have been incredibly spoiled as far as birding areas go, but knowing that doesn't make things better. It's like being used to drinking Dom Perignon and then suddenly only having access to Andre or Korbel. You'd stop drinking Champagne. Alright, I admit that getting old has something to do with it too. I don't mean to sound whiney, I'm just trying to explain why I'm so happy to be birding here.

I may have forgotten a bird or two because I don't like to spend time writing while birding, but I think this list comes pretty close:
Brown Pelican
Magnificent Frigatebird
Neotropic Cormorant
Black Vulture
West Mexican Chachalaca
Willet
White-winged Dove
Inca Dove
Groove-billed Ani
Cinnamon Hummingbird
Golden-crowned Emerald
Citreoline Trogon
Golden-cheeked Woody
Nutting's Flycatcher (found a pair nesting in an old Woodpecker cavity)
Social Flycatcher
Great Kiskadee
Tropical Kingbird
Rough-winged Swallow
Mangrove Swallow
Barn Swallow
White-bellied Wren
Warbling Vireo
Yellow Warbler
Orange-breasted Bunting
Blue Bunting
Varied Bunting
White-collared Seedeater
House Sparrow
Great-tailed Grackle
Streak-backed Oriole

Last edited:
Jalisco is absolutely lovely, some of my favorite beaches and birding in Mexico :) I have seen a lot of great birds in flip flops, there is a lot to recommend it!

Jalisco is absolutely lovely, some of my favorite beaches and birding in Mexico :) I have seen a lot of great birds in flip flops, there is a lot to recommend it!
Most of the time during our sailing trip, I birded in my Teva's. They came in handy if I had to make a beach landing in the Avon.;) Now, the old back needs a little more support if I'm out for any length of time.

Forgot my empid. I don't think I'd be going too far out on a limb calling it a Pacific Slope Flycatcher.
Edit: On second thought, and after looking at range, it could be a Cordilleran.

Attachments

• psf.JPG
    psf.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back