• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few bits from Troodos, Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Had a nice couple of days in the Mountains to get a little respite from the heat. Despite being hamstrung by having a wife with a migraine, a four year old toddler and a heart that doesn't work, I think it was a decent trip. It was a mix of playgrounds for the little toddler and a few more interesting sites for the big toddler.

The commonest species by far was Holly Blue with Large Whites in second place and at Prodromos reservoir, Painted Ladies were abundat. This site also gave up my my first Long-tialed Blue in Cyprus and that was followed by my first Cyprus Meadow Browns and another Brown which I'm not sure of and I find it almost impossible to separate Cyprus from Oriental Meadow Browns.

The butterfly highlight however was an unexpected White-banded Grayling at Trooditissa picnic site which also gave up Cyprus Grayling Hipparchia cypriensis which defeated my efforts to get a shot..

Bird wise, the trip yielded four additions to my Cyprus list in Eurasian Jay, numerous Grey Wagtails, the distinct endemic race of Coal Tit and a single Short-toed Treecreeper.

Any help or comments on the unknown Brown are gratefully received

Attachments

• Long-tailed Blue.jpg
    Long-tailed Blue.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Cyprus Meadow Brown.jpg
    Cyprus Meadow Brown.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Cyprus or Oriental.jpg
    Cyprus or Oriental.jpg
    863.2 KB · Views: 18
  • White-banded Grayling.jpg
    White-banded Grayling.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
A note on Oriental Meadow Brown, apart from the unformly dark hindwing, a constant seems to be the pale, yellowish surround to the ocelli, both of which mine seem to show.

Last edited:
Generally the problematic pair to separate is Dusky Meadow Brown and Oriental Meadow Brown, both with relatively similar uniform 'grainy' underwings, both with fairly scalloped hindwing margins. As Dusky does not occur on Cyprus, this problem is avoided, but Meadow Brown (and in this case Cyprus Meadow Brown) can be problematic too.

For males, the shape of the scent brand on the upperwing will clarify things if seen. Likewise for females, the double eye spots on Oriental would clarify. Otherwise a classic Oriental should show a markedly more scalloped hindwing margin and a generally uniform greyish grainy underwing. That said, I find the scalloping to be somewhat ambiguous and sometimes it seems the scalloping is little different in the various species.

While your individual doesn't seem to have the scalloping as extreme as it could be, it seems okay for Oriental to me, as does the more uniform grainy underwing. I would call it an Oriental and , agreeing with you, the previous one is Cyprus Meadow Brown.

Last edited:
Generally the problematic pair to separate is Dusky Meadow Brown and Oriental Meadow Brown, both with relatively similar uniform 'grainy' underwings, both with fairly scalloped hindwing margins. As Dusky does not occur on Cyprus, this problem is avoided, but Meadow Brown (and in this case Cyprus Meadow Brown) can be problematic too.

For males, the shape of the scent brand on the upperwing will clarify things if seen. Likewise for females, the double eye spots on Oriental would clarify. Otherwise a classic Oriental should show a markedly more scalloped hindwing margin and a generally uniform greyish grainy underwing. That said, I find the scalloping to be somewhat ambiguous and sometimes it seems the scaalloping is little different in the various species.

While your individual doesn't seem to have the scalloping as extreme as it could be, it seems okay for Oriental to me, as does the more uniform grainy underwing. I would call it an Oriental and , agreeing with you, the previous one is Cyprus Meadow Brown.
Thanks Jos, what about the obvious, yellowish ring around the ocelli in Oriental which is always depicted, a reliable or at least indictive feaure?

Perhaps, I am not sure, maybe in fresher condition individuals. I feel other meadow browns can show this, but I can't say I have really paid enough attention to this feature, so take this with a pinch of salt.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back