• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A July beetle? (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Any ideas what this beetle is. The first time I've seen one.

Centre of Scotland 10 July, 2023BF Beetle for ID 10 July 2023.jpg

Thanks so much both. Are they pretty widespread in Scotland?

I've had them in my mouth trap down in Pembrokeshire. They bloody stink!
LOL this one wasn't smelling. What on earth do you trap in your "mouth" 😆

Thanks so much both. Are they pretty widespread in Scotland?

LOL this one wasn't smelling. What on earth do you trap in your "mouth" 😆
Ha! What a clot! Meant moth! No, don't ever put a Sexton Beetle in your mouth! They can smell like rotting carcass, and even squirt the smell at you if they feel threatened, although I think it was one of the all black ones that did that to me. Not, I hasten to add, because I was about to put it in my mouth. I was just moving in for a closer look (honest) and it mistook my intentions!

Ha! What a clot! Meant moth! No, don't ever put a Sexton Beetle in your mouth! They can smell like rotting carcass, and even squirt the smell at you if they feel threatened, although I think it was one of the all black ones that did that to me. Not, I hasten to add, because I was about to put it in my mouth. I was just moving in for a closer look (honest) and it mistook my intentions!
Not only do they usually stink, but they're often covered in mites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back