• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Photographic Fungus Foray (1 Viewer)

cjay

A Photographic Fungus Foray
Including other items of interest.

In Gunton Wood Lowestoft a really good show of the winter fungus Velvet Shank Flammulina velutipes was growing on Elm trunks. This particular species thrives on being frozen where upon on thawing produces more spores. The particularly vicious cold snap of late has helped this species fruit & in turn sporolate more than other years.
Some being so close to the entrance gate soon had dog walkers interested in what I was photographing. Whilst picking one & showing a couple the identification features of a brown velvet stem topped by a glutinous tan-yellow cap I turned around to see that I had quite an audience.
Throughout the wood there were at least four good troops that were photogenic enough to record on film. A few tit species were foraging inn the trees along with tiny wrens but little else of note was seen. Along one of the paths the common ear fungi Auricula auricula-judae was found growing on a dead log used as the path boundary. This was duly photographed with some snow included in the background.
I would have dearly loved to photograph some of the Winter Aconites, which were flowering very well last week, but the deep snow seemed to have covered them all up.

Along the disused railway line at Gunton I found that all the young Oaks here were host to the Marble Gall of the wasp Andricus kollari Photographs were obtained for my collection.

On the way to Kessingland I stopped off at the South Pier Lowestoft to see the 1st Winter Glaucous gull, present for some days now. The northern hemisphere gull that is an uncommon winter visitor here was found perched by the fish dock. The 1st winter bird is a strikingly pale sandy coloured gull with a black tipped salmon pink bill & salmon pink legs. The primary feathers are white.
Whilst passing Children’s Corner on the south beach I saw 14 Sanderling feeding like clockwork toys along the sandy tideline.

At & around the parish council’s reserve at Kessingland the following plants were recorded in leaf burst. Hawthorn & Duke of Argyles Tea Tree. Almost open flower buds were found on Bramble & Cherry Plum.
Along the western boundary of the reserve Wild Arum & Lesser Celandine leaves were seen by the shade of an elder.
Although there was snow on the ground Spring is just around the corner.

Colin A Jacobs.

Colin,
A great "read"! I would like to view someof your Fungi images. Have just recently joined and one of the great things I find here is that your not relagated to just "Birds".
Last year Fungi peeked my interest while out Birding and now make habit of looking for them as well.
Between, Bird, Fungi, Moss, Ferns, native flowers watching, its a wonder I see anything at all. LOL
Are your pics in the Gallery?

I too would be interested in seeing your photographs. I am doing an Ecology course this year at the British Open University and have taken a huge interest in lichens, which as everybody knows (erm....I just found out...) are part fungus part alga.

I've found it fascinating and intend to start a collection of photos. I took a photo of a bright red mushroom last year with white spots. You know, the kind you see in fairy stories..... it was beautiful.

Susan

Susan, I too am a beginning Mycologist, "schrooms" as I've heard them called are found in the woods nearby in great abundance.

Will check my files for pics of Mushrooms and Lichens. I might have a few, not sure. Last year was my forey into "ferns" so
there's where the concentration was.
Remember Edinburgh fondly, back in the 70's I fished the Tweed at Pebbles and spent many days at the gardens on Princes Street. It's true what they say. "The Mountains of Scotland are calling me Home". Enjoy!

How I'd love to accompany you on one of your outings Jacob. I started learning wild plants last year as part of my gardeners training school but lichen, fungii(?) etc. remain a mystery! However I do know that Susan shouldn't eat the mushroom she photographed - Fly Agaric = very toxic!!!

Of course anyone is welcome to join me in the field for anything of a Natural History Nature. My photographs are on 35mm slide but copies can be sent to those who wish to have them.

CJ

Ah yes, I seem to remember Fly Agaric was the name for that red mushroom. I had no intentions of eating it. I wouldn't have had the chance to anyway. I was out on a cycling trip with my son and spotted it across the road, just at the edge of a pine forest but across a ditch + fence. My son offered to jump over and take a photo, which he did, but about to jump back over, he slid and fell on the poor mushroom, sending it flying into the ditch....

I dug it out and here it is..... (actually there are no white spots. Don't know why I thought there were)

Susano:D

Attachments

• mushrsm.jpg
    mushrsm.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 272
Screech,

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people from all over the world that know Edinburgh better than I do!

I've only been here 3 years, having spent the last 25 years in Crete, Greece. I was brought up in Aberdeenshire though and yes, I came back because I missed Scotland.

I don't think I've been to Peebles. I've got all next week off and who knows, I may take a run down there. See the river Tweed and take my camera for a walk....

Are you Scottish then?

Susan

Yes Diane, that's the Fly Agaric. Now I wonder what mine is called?

By the way, there is a poll on whether people should photograph birds in graveyards. The book I am reading just now suggests graveyards as the ideal place to study lichens. First of all because you get an idea of how old the lichen is from the date on the headstones, and secondly because the flora and fauna are more likely to be in their natural state, i.e. no chemicals, etc.

Susan

Paul 42 said:
However I do know that Susan shouldn't eat the mushroom she photographed - Fly Agaric = very toxic!!!

I do recall hearing in the Sixties that Amanita muscaria is not 'poisonous' as such, but induced in those who ate it visions and hallucinations (as does Psilocybin), and it was because of those hallucinations that witches thought they could fly.

Tony

Susan,
Your son took a great photo of Fly Agaric, great thing to introduce the young mind to wonders of nature.

No, not a Scot, 2nd generation , from Norway and Sweden. Both beautiful countries. beautiful lakes and mountains.

Aberdeenshire is a lovely area, toured the area on the way North to "taste" some of that great "Scotch Whiskey" I have acquired a taste for.(y)

Pebbles is a short hop from you, a good excuse to bird, and look for Lichen.

Tell your son I enjoyed his picture, hope he didn't get hurt on that fence!

bob

Hey Tony now we know how you spent the 60's. Would explain a few things :hippy: Jacob love to take you up on your offer but it's a bit too far for me.... Actually here in France mushroom hunting is a national sport, a lot of people carry special knives with a brush on the other end and spend hours in the forest with their family or friends and are very knowledgeable. You can take any mushrooms you're not sure about into any pharmacy and they will identify them for you free of charge!

Found it!

Just to say, I found a picture of my mushroom in a book.
Apparently it is called "The Sickener" - Russula emetica

From Collins Complete British Wildlife:
"Colourful fungus of conifer woodlands which , as its name suggests, is poisonous. Widespread and locally common, appearing September-November. Cap is bright red; domed at first but flattened later. Gills creamy white; stem and flesh white."

Susan

I have just realised i did not comment on the report, must have got lost somewhere. It was a nice day's meander round your patch for me. I am also keen on starting photos of shrooms, butterflies, flowers as well as birds with my new CP4500 in macro.

I wonder if I also know Edinburgh better than you too? I had a great experience of the bitter Hibs Hearts game at Easter Road when visiting a few friends. A very strange thing was we associate Rab C Nesbitt with Glasgow yet I saw nothing of the sort there but as soon as I stepped out of the station in 'burgh I clapped eyes on one releiving himself!!! Should be the other way round with 'burgh being respectable. I really loved the city and stroked Bobby Greyfrairs too. Ain't been since the new Government thingy has been put up, better do so.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back