• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice sought regarding DIY materials for DIY bird bath / bubbler / filter (1 Viewer)

M Dean

United States
Looking for information on which materials are bird safe, or which materials are not bird safe, when building a water feature for song birds. We'd also appreciate information on building a DIY water filter that would take out pathogens.

The idea came a couple days ago from a youtube showing 30 humming birds hanging out on a single bubbler. For proof of utility, I drilled a 1/2" hole in a 8"x8"x6" chunk of landscape lava rock, connected a $12 submersible 120v pump to the rock with on-hand vinyl tubing, and suspended the rock over a reservoir (5 gallon food-grade buck). Quick and dirty and very well attended for drinks and baths not only by our target species, Anna's humming birds, but also all our usual locals. It's the cutest thing to see any them do full head plunges into the bubbler proper, which is 1.5" to 2" high. A red breasted nuthatch is in lead on that score at this point. We decided on the chunk of red lava rock because it's coarseness ought to provide very secure footing compared to, say, glazed ceramic.

It's working. So now we're going to diy something more permanent, and incorporate a pathogen filter, are looking for advice on materials and filters. A big worry is any salmonella from the pine siskins transferring to other species. Examples of some materials we're unsure of are galvanized metal, copper, raw cement, cedar wood, various paints, grates from an old BBQ grill, etc. We might cast something out of concrete and seal it with melted wax instead of paint or epoxy. For a filter, we're thinking of a diy 24" washed-sand filter, or maybe a UV light in the reservoir.

Last edited:
I made a bird bath bubbler using natural materials because I wanted to incorporate the bubble pool into the beauty of my garden. All I need is: The 20-gallon round barrel will hold the water and all of the birdbath bubbling together. Vinyl pipes will act as a highway for the water. This will help the water flow from the bottom of the bath tub upwards, where the bubbles will flow back down. Most submersible water pumps suitable for bird bath use have an outlet port that fits 12 inch tubing. The drill bit for the hammer drill should be 34 inches thick.

I made a bird bath bubbler using natural materials because I wanted to incorporate the bubble pool into the beauty of my garden. All I need is: The 20-gallon round barrel will hold the water and all of the birdbath bubbling together. Vinyl pipes will act as a highway for the water. This will help the water flow from the bottom of the bath tub upwards, where the bubbles will flow back down. Most submersible water pumps suitable for bird bath use have an outlet port that fits 12 inch tubing. The drill bit for the hammer drill should be 34 inches thick.
Adding a bubbler to your bird bath will increase its value to birds. Also, moving water is safer for the environment. The movement will discourage mosquitoes and other insects from breeding in the bath.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back