• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice welcomed (2 Viewers)

Hi Everyone Alex here. Im very new to birding having only been out once by myself (no. i dont normally have a carer) and managing to leave behind half of what i was hoping to take. Having said that i still had a great day out and saw some interesting things even managing to get a few pictures despite not having suitable equipment for wildlife photography.:rolleyes:
Im looking for advice on what would be a good starting point for someone like me. On my trip last week i was lucky enough to be able to borrow a high end pair of Zeiss binoculars (exact model escapes me sorry). They were really good, clear and bright but pretty much at the top of their range at over £2000. As a photographer for many years (landscapes and portraits) i do appreciate the value of top class optics however my dilemma is whether or not i should invest such a large sum of money at this stage of should i go for something a little more modest and spend the rest on beer? (just kidding i have a separate budget for beer).
Admin said i should state what kind of birding im interested in. I guess its a bit wooly but woodland/marsh and moorland and some local lakes is where i normally go with my dogs so thats where i'll probably go (without the dogs). I could at a pinch go for a top end pair but im wondering at this stage if thats the right thing to do or should i go for something a little more budget friendly. Another friend said that maybe i should consider a cheaper pair and a spotting scope?
All advice welcome and thank you in advance for your help.
Alex.

Alex,

We will all give you advise and seldom agree, but
my suggestion is a midrange 8x32 or 8x42 pair of roof binoculars.
42mm has better low light vision, 32mm lighter and easier to carry.
I would avoid too cheap (junk) or too expensive (more quality than most need)
If possible go to a dealer who has a good selection and see which ones you like/bond with,
keeping in mind the various models we will suggest.
Consider this as a "starter pair" no different from a camera for someone getting started in photography.

edj

You could also look at good quality higher value second hand binoculars.

When you've been a member here for 5 days and have another couple of posts on, you will be able to post in the For Sale and Wanted forum here. I've purchased a few items from our members and haven't ever been disappointed.

I've been a casual birder for a while and had only used a very low end 10x25 when needed until recently.

Now, we have both an NL 8x32 and a Kowa 6.5x32. While there is a massive price difference, the difference in optics - especially for 90% of situations, is not as dramatic as the difference in price.

As was suggested, a nice "starter" pair that fit you well should provide plenty of enjoyment - we're all unique.

I think something similar to one of these might be a good place to start:
  • Kowa BD II
  • Zeiss Terra
  • Vortex Viper
  • Nikon M7
  • Hawke Frontier ED X
If you wanted to step up from there, something like:
  • Zeiss Conquest or Victory Pocket
  • Nikon Monarch HG
  • Swaro CL B Companion
Of course - if you went straight to the top, so long as you did some good hands-on before purchase you would likely be very happy as well.

Others have said in other threads/posts that ergonomics seem to matter more to them over time. Put your hands on as many as you can, go with what fit you well and for which you find comfortable and easy to operate.

Another personal preference seems to be whether people prefer wide field of view or higher magnification; its rare that you get both at the same time. I personally am falling more and more into the wide fov camp.

Last edited:
Alex,

We will all give you advise and seldom agree, but
my suggestion is a midrange 8x32 or 8x42 pair of roof binoculars.
42mm has better low light vision, 32mm lighter and easier to carry.
I would avoid too cheap (junk) or too expensive (more quality than most need)
If possible go to a dealer who has a good selection and see which ones you like/bond with,
keeping in mind the various models we will suggest.
Consider this as a "starter pair" no different from a camera for someone getting started in photography.

edj
Thank you, I've tried a few pairs now and think 8x42 or 10x42 are probably where I'll be heading. Your advice about finding a dealer is a great idea as some of the ones I've tried are not comfortable but after being able to watch a pair of lizards sunbathing last week I'm sold on a pair with close focusing ability.
regards Alex.
You could also look at good quality higher value second hand binoculars.

When you've been a member here for 5 days and have another couple of posts on, you will be able to post in the For Sale and Wanted forum here. I've purchased a few items from our members and haven't ever been disappointed.
Thank you Delia, I'll take a look and see if there's anything that might suit
Alex.

I've been a casual birder for a while and had only used a very low end 10x25 when needed until recently.

Now, we have both an NL 8x32 and a Kowa 6.5x32. While there is a massive price difference, the difference in optics - especially for 90% of situations, is not as dramatic as the difference in price.

As was suggested, a nice "starter" pair that fit you well should provide plenty of enjoyment - we're all unique.

I think something similar to one of these might be a good place to start:
  • Kowa BD II
  • Zeiss Terra
  • Vortex Viper
  • Nikon M7
  • Hawke Frontier ED X
If you wanted to step up from there, something like:
  • Zeiss Conquest or Victory Pocket
  • Nikon Monarch HG
  • Swaro CL B Companion
Of course - if you went straight to the top, so long as you did some good hands-on before purchase you would likely be very happy as well.

Others have said in other threads/posts that ergonomics seem to matter more to them over time. Put your hands on as many as you can, go with what fit you well and for which you find comfortable and easy to operate.

Another personal preference seems to be whether people prefer wide field of view or higher magnification; its rare that you get both at the same time. I personally am falling more and more into the wide fov camp.
Thank you, that all seems good advice, I've been lucky enough to have tried for a day two pairs of mid range binoculars and one Zeiss pair of Victorys.
I didn't find the more expensive pair that much better to be honest, as you said, a lot more money for very little improvement.
Regards Alex.

Everyone's circumstances are different in terms of what they can afford, and how meaningful the differences in optical and mechanical quality at different price levels are. Since you're familiar with Zeiss Victory binoculars (presume you mean Victory SF rather than the previous FL or HT models?) it might be an interesting exercise to look at the tiers below that (eg. Zeiss Conquest or Nikon Monarch HG) and figure out which is the closest. As a photographer you'll know that hands on experience with lenses etc is the best way of deciding whether they are right for you. Not everyone needs a Leica or Zeiss lens, and the same is in many cases true of binoculars.

It's probably also a good idea to figure out whether you plan to do much bird photography - if you anticipate lugging a 400mm or larger setup on a consistent basis, and will be using your binoculars primarily to spot targets for your camera, a small/light binocular will probably serve you better than one of the high performance (but large) x42mms.

Everyone's circumstances are different in terms of what they can afford, and how meaningful the differences in optical and mechanical quality at different price levels are. Since you're familiar with Zeiss Victory binoculars (presume you mean Victory SF rather than the previous FL or HT models?) it might be an interesting exercise to look at the tiers below that (eg. Zeiss Conquest or Nikon Monarch HG) and figure out which is the closest. As a photographer you'll know that hands on experience with lenses etc is the best way of deciding whether they are right for you. Not everyone needs a Leica or Zeiss lens, and the same is in many cases true of binoculars.

It's probably also a good idea to figure out whether you plan to do much bird photography - if you anticipate lugging a 400mm or larger setup on a consistent basis, and will be using your binoculars primarily to spot targets for your camera, a small/light binocular will probably serve you better than one of the high performance (but large) x42mms.
Hi thank you for your response and the help. I've settled for a more modestly priced pair of Opticron Arouras 8x42 which are optically nice and sharp and comfortable to use. Im now considering a Meopta Meostar spotting scope to go with the bino's. I've found one on a UK website that seems a good deal but not 100% sure yet.
Regards Alex.

Initially I would buy a good used pair or two. See how I get on with them and which type/size I prefer. Then sell either or both (losing relatively little) and buy a higher quality model.

Initially I would buy a good used pair or two. See how I get on with them and which type/size I prefer. Then sell either or both (losing relatively little) and buy a higher quality model.
Thank you again for your advice, I've settled for the Opticron Auroras now and I'm really pleased with them. A friend of a friend loaned me a pair for a week to try out and they fitted the bill without draining my resources (for once). I'm still considering a spotting scope to add to my armory but haven't quite made up my mind yet. Ironically ive discovered that the website i saw the Meopta on is only about four miles away from where i live so once im fit and well again (covid) I'll be making an appointment to go check them out.
regards Alex.

I would start by checking out local bird clubs and try the members binos out in the field. Most people choose 8x40 binoculars but I prefer 10x or 12x ones. It is subjective as to what amount of magnification is comfortable for you and you need to try the higher magnification ones to know.

The greater the magnification of the subjects viewed with binoculars the more apparent any shortcomings will be. I have moderately prices 8x and 10 binoculars but with my purchase of a 12x50 pair I needed to get a pricier model to get the same relative clarity as with my less expensive 8x and 10x ones.

In the USA the company B&H Photo Video makes it easy to return binoculars if they do not turn out to be as expected. They also do deals on Vortex binoculars from time to time with prices at a 25% discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back