• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advise - Opticron Imagic GKA 8x42 problem (1 Viewer)

RTL

United Kingdom
Hello, I am hoping this Opticron-specific forum may be able to help re some issues with these binoculars that were gifted to me.

I was given them as a potential DIY project due to slight double image. Having search online it seems many binoculars can be recollimated via 4 adjustment screws. These binoculars are rubber armoured and prior to removing or cutting the rubber I wondered if anyone would be able to confirm there are adjustment screws underneath.

The other issue is the left eyepiece will not focus to infinity, the max range is ~75 metres. Unsure if this is related to the prior issue or it is something else. I removed the screw holding the eyepiece and bridge and when rotated off the focus mechanism the left eyepiece will then drop into the body by a few more millimetres (the gap indicated by the green arrow) and it will then focus to infinity, however when seated correctly on the focus mechanism (purple arrow) it does not.

I also wondered if anyone had an idea of the ballpark cost to return to Opticron and repair. I suspect this option is beyond economical repair.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Opticron edit.jpg

Hello Richard,

Sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle with that bino. Maybe others more familiar with the product will chime in with better advice, but I came across this binocular repair company based in Norfolk:

Binocular Repair Services For All Makes of Binoculars and Telescopes

They offer a collimation fix for £35 and a full service for £40(exclusive of VAT and return postage costs) on Opticron porros.

Might be worth calling or emailing them if it means that much to you.

All the best,

Neil.

Hello Richard,

Sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle with that bino. Maybe others more familiar with the product will chime in with better advice, but I came across this binocular repair company based in Norfolk:

Binocular Repair Services For All Makes of Binoculars and Telescopes

They offer a collimation fix for £35 and a full service for £40(exclusive of VAT and return postage costs) on Opticron porros.

Might be worth calling or emailing them if it means that much to you.

All the best,

Neil.
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your response and the link to the repair company. They are not far from me so that could be an option if the DIY route is not viable.

cheers
Richard

Hi Richard

You are welcome to contact our service department for advice and an estimate on the cost of repair. Call them on 01582 726 522, option 1 or send an email to [email protected].

Cheers, Pete

Last edited:
A reply to close out this thread and possibly offer advice to others in a similar situation.

I went down the DIY route and removed the rubber armour. The rubber covering the objective barrels can be pulled off. The body rubber has glued edges that butt up to each other behind the focussing wheel, and it was possible to cut into the glue with a small scalpel. There are 4 adjustment screws that require a 0.9mm Allen key. The double image was corrected with a 1/4turn but I was still having issues with infinity. I had some advice from Opticron Service Dept (thanks again Stuart) and he suggested if I could unscrew the objective barrel and remove a spacer that was present this would move the objective closer to eyepiece and improve distance focussing. I could not move the objective barrel but it finally gave when I used a heat gun on the higher setting for ~30 secs. I then totally stripped, cleaned and reassembled the binoculars without the objective spacers. One of the prisms needed a small adjustment and the binoculars are now back in action.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back