• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Affordable post-production noise reduction software (1 Viewer)

Oregon John

United States
Wasn't sure which sub-forum to post this in, so apologies if it was supposed to be elsewhere....

Lately I'm taking a lot of low light photos with a slow lens. Result: a good many noisy photos, like the one attached.

Any opinions on DxO PhotoLab6 Essential vs. Luminar Neo for noise reduction? (I don't want software through subscription; I want to purchase it outright). Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.JPEG
    IMG_0394.JPEG
    116.4 KB · Views: 32
Wasn't sure which sub-forum to post this in, so apologies if it was supposed to be elsewhere....

Lately I'm taking a lot of low light photos with a slow lens. Result: a good many noisy photos, like the one attached.

Any opinions on DxO PhotoLab6 Essential vs. Luminar Neo for noise reduction? (I don't want software through subscription; I want to purchase it outright). Thanks for any input.
Oregon John:
You may also want to look here: Topaz Labs Products.
There are several options: Just de-noise software ("DeNoise AI" for about 80 US-Dollars, one-time purchase), or special sharpen and pixel beef-up software. If you buy the new "Topaz Photo AI" (199 USD, one-time purchase) you'll get the other three programs for free. I did so and I am very pleased with the results.
I think there are free trial versions available.
Werner

Topaz DeNoise and Photo AI
I like DeN but needs to be used carefully. PhotoAI I have not figured out. When allowing it to do 'auto' mode, the results always look overcooked to me and plasticky.

IMG_0394-DeN-standard.JPEG

IMG_0394-topaz-enhance.JPEG

DxO Pure Raw 2 has gotten good reviews for low light (and it also fine tunes sharpening). Comes as a free trial, and can be used as a lightroom classic plugin if you want. I have been blown away at some of the results it produces on my photos--sometimes it can make iso 6400 look like iso 200. (See, e.g., )

Personally, I use Topaz Denoise. but you have to be careful with it, like most denoise programs when you import the photo to the program, it will increase the noise making it look worse than it did in photoshop, which then in turn makes it look like the program does more of a good job when viewed side by side.

When you do choose which option to go for, either normal, clear, low light or severe noise look closely at your subject, as I see a lot of photos out there where the bird looks far too smooth and almost wax-looking, especially the eyes, so use it lightly or use it as a separate layer in photoshop then mask in some of the details of the bird from the original photo, as you really looking at getting the noise out of the background and not so much out of the bird/subject.

Just my thoughts and the way I work, for what it's worth 😉

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back