• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aggressive Hummingbird almost killed another on the window feeder today (1 Viewer)

OLYWA2006

United States
We thought they were mating at first, but this Male Hummingbird bird was on this female's back for 10 minutes before we realized this was a bad thing happening. We went out to intervene, and the female laid there for a good 5 minutes before being able to fly away. The bully male resumed running off all hummingbirds the rest of the day until dusk. What is interesting is just a few days ago there were like 10 hummingbirds between the two feeders all cooperating. Now it's only one for both feeders. The 1 minute video is too large to load and it's hard to rewatch knowing in hindsight what was happening.

Attachments

• P1170368.JPG
    P1170368.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1170371.JPG
    P1170371.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 21
  • P1170372.JPG
    P1170372.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 20
  • The attacked bird looked injured after the other was shood away.PNG
    The attacked bird looked injured after the other was shood away.PNG
    505.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Just before we shood it away.PNG
    Just before we shood it away.PNG
    431.6 KB · Views: 21
Aggressive behavior around feeders by male hummingbirds is not unusual, but this sounds extreme. Sometimes placing the second feeder on the opposite side of the house will allow for the less aggressive birds to feed in peace. It is too hard the the aggressive bird to defend two feeders when he can't see them simultaneously.

Aggressive behavior around feeders by male hummingbirds is not unusual, but this sounds extreme. Sometimes placing the second feeder on the opposite side of the house will allow for the less aggressive birds to feed in peace. It is too hard the the aggressive bird to defend two feeders when he can't see them simultaneously.
I did add another feeder. Now I have them in 6 areas around the yard.

Very interesting.... I saw this very same thing just today... Anna's hummingbirds. I also thought it was a mating pair but they ended up on the ground under the feeder and I saw the male was clutching the female's neck. I stepped outside, the male flew off and the female flew off about 30 seconds later. Yesterday I saw a male standing on the feeder perch with a female in it's clutch... again, by the neck. They separated on their own and both flew off. Interesting but a little disturbing... brutal on a tiny scale.

Very interesting.... I saw this very same thing just today... Anna's hummingbirds. I also thought it was a mating pair but they ended up on the ground under the feeder and I saw the male was clutching the female's neck. I stepped outside, the male flew off and the female flew off about 30 seconds later. Yesterday I saw a male standing on the feeder perch with a female in it's clutch... again, by the neck. They separated on their own and both flew off. Interesting but a little disturbing... brutal on a tiny scale.
Hummingbirds were symbolic of the Aztec god of war, for good reason. They are insanely disputatious and even in the wild defend feeding sites viciously.

I've seen Rubythroats fight, but not that bad.
Nothing to do with hummers, but birds, at one time I had a flock of yard chickens on my property and one of the roosters and a dominant hen fought all day. I would break it up and they would start back. Finally after several hours, I saw the hen laying in the yard on her back, I presumed dead. I moved her and it turned out she was still alive. She recovered and the rooster had no more trouble with her.

I added more feeders and now have 4 feeders that each have 10 feeding ports and the hummers are much more docile when they do not have to compete for the sugar water. I get more than 40 hummers at a time perched on the feeders.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back