• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Golden-Plover? (central Panama) (1 Viewer)

jcaxel

Neotropical Birder
Hi, we saw this Golden-Plover with a little flock of Black-bellied Plovers and shorebirds at the Pacific coast in central Panama (southern Central America). Unfortunately, the pics are not good enough to evaluate the wing/tail relations and the primaries projection... otherwise, this plover exhibits marks that are good for either of those (American -dominica- vs Pacific -fulva- Golden-Plovers). Dominica is a quite uncommon migrant through Panama (both coasts), with only few records of over-wintering birds (so not at all unexpected for january). Fulva has never been recorded in Panama (but have been recorded in Galapagos islands and Chile). I posted more photos with discussion at my blog here http://janbirdingblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/veracruz-in-high-tide.html. Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• Digi AGP 1.JPG
    Digi AGP 1.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Digi AGP.JPG
    Digi AGP.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 64
  • AGP3.JPG
    AGP3.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 51
  • AGP5.JPG
    AGP5.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Primaries edited.jpg
    Primaries edited.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 60
To my mind, tail-wing-tertials seems to indicate AM golden. It is easier to explain pale undertail coverts as molt in an AmGP than it is to explain lack of white along the edge of the wing in a PaGP, so my guess is Am GP

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back