• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antpitta (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I thought there was a thread named Grallaria, but a search could not bring it up.

We today received an email from ProAves in Colombia that they had discovered a large Antpitta in the El Dorado area of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, superficially similar to Undulated, but different enough that they think it is a different species.
Niels

I thought there was a thread named Grallaria, but a search could not bring it up.

We today received an email from ProAves in Colombia that they had discovered a large Antpitta in the El Dorado area of Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, superficially similar to Undulated, but different enough that they think it is a different species.
Niels

More information (including a video) about the new antpitta here:

Sorprendente nueva especie de ave para la Ciencia descubierta en la Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta

Cool find!
Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta is an area of high endemism I believe isn't it?

Last edited:
Yes, lots of endemism in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta.

Are there any publicly available recordings? I’d like to hear this “surprisingly different” voice. Voices seem pretty well conserved in this group of Grallaria though there is variation in Scaled and it is often mooted as a potential for some splits, and the E slope Giant Antpitta also has an apparently distinctive voice.

Last edited:

Are there any publicly available recordings? I’d like to hear this “surprisingly different” voice. Voices seem pretty well conserved in this group of Grallaria though there is variation in Scaled and it is often mooted as a potential for some splits, and the E slope Giant Antpitta also has an apparently distinctive voice.
From the youtube video it sounds remarkably like an electric guitar 🙃

If I remember correctly in the paper Harvey et al ( https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aaz6970 ) that came out a few years ago there was a suggestion from the phylogenetic tree that this family contained considerable cryptic diversity

Last edited:
Undulated Antpitta was first recorded in Santa Marta about ten years ago (https://sao.org.co/publicaciones/boletinsao/24_1n2/BS2016-03.pdf) so the wording of that press release is a little odd/disingenuous, as it does not mention this record (and other subsequent ones) and implies this was a recent discovery. I think it is safe to assume that all these records concern the same taxon.

I guess vocalizations and genetics will tell the tale, though at least phenotypically it doesn't look much different from a regular Undulated Antpitta.

Undulated Antpitta was first recorded in Santa Marta about ten years ago (https://sao.org.co/publicaciones/boletinsao/24_1n2/BS2016-03.pdf) so the wording of that press release is a little odd/disingenuous, as it does not mention this record (and other subsequent ones) and implies this was a recent discovery.
😴

The ProAves press release of 15 February clearly mentions the 2015 record. See below.

I quote from the ProAves release: "Approximately 10,000 ornithologists and birdwatchers have visited the El Dorado ProAves Reserve and surrounding area in the past two decades and never seen or heard the species. There was one sighting of a bird for five minutes in 2015 by Sophie Osborn and Chad Olson , but only a distant blurred photograph was taken and which they considered to be of Undulated Antpitta. "

ProAves also emphasised to the journalist who published a couple of days ago in El Tiempo newspaper (Colombia national newspaper) the importance of mentioning the 2015 record - that record and the names of the two observers concerned feature in that news report.

That 2015 record was a really important record and discovery - but it's worth recalling that this apparently sole prior record involves a somewhat blurry and distant photo of a juvenile. With the adult bird found, photographed, sound recorded, mist-netted, measured, sampled and released in Feb 2024 there is a lot richer data available to those taking forwards the study.

Last edited:
Forrest Rowland mentioned in a discussion on FB that he had seen an Undulated-type Antpitta on Santa Marta as well. I cannot now re-find the comment.

Diego Calderon made a comment that this new Undulated-type bird apparently sings in a similar manner to Scaled, perhaps resulting in it having been overlooked in the past?

I was there last week. Missed the bird, but my tour guide said that he thought it was an Undulated.

I was also told that nobody has heard the bird call or sing.

Lastly, they were planning on capturing it to get DNA.

Photos taken using my mobile on 2nd February, whilst on the Birdquest Colombia with s Difference tour. The bird was at a feeding station, but we also saw one away from there. Never posted a photo here before so apologies for the duplication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back