• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

April Moths 2021 (1 Viewer)

23/04. One Streamer on wall, nil by trap.
Didn't bother last night and won't tonight. Current temps seem to hold things back.

Night of the Brindled Pug last night, seven of them on the wall this morning. Other than that, 2 Clouded Drabs, a Powdered Quaker and a NFY Least Black Arches.

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_180140.jpg
    IMG_20210427_180140.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 6
27/04. 7 moths of 7 species. Yay! Plus a garden tick. Double Yay!
Ypsolopha mucronella (nfy), LBAM, Lichen Button, Common Quaker, Powdered Quaker, Hebrew Character and Muslin Moth (nfg).

The previous night I had no moths in the trap, but did find an Angle Shades on a wall that had freshly emerged with tiny little stubby wings and watched it slowly inflate them. A fascinating experience. It's these little moments that make natural history rather wonderful.

Last edited:
Saw a Garden Carpet in the garden earlier on today, plus some random clothes moth indoors. Not been trapping though, although weather is finally reasonable.

Wrapping up the position to the end of April with the moth yearlist climbing to 73 species:-
18.001 – Diamond-back
28.009 – White-shouldered House-moth
28.010 – Brown House-moth
28.019 – Esperia sulphurella
32.023 – Agonopterix rotundella
70.157 – Oak-tree Pug
69.003 – Poplar Hawkmoth
71.003 – Puss Moth
73.045 – Knot Grass
73.058 – Mullein
73.325 – Shuttle-shaped Dart
73.327 – Dark Swordgrass

The Esperia sulphurella and Agonopterix sulphurella were found at Prawle by a friend whose Clevedon garden has done far better than mine in current conditions. Only the House-moths, Poplar Hawkmoth and Shuttle-shaped Dark were from my trap.....

Here's hoping for better trapping conditions in May. They cannot be worse.... I should not have tempted fate!

Pics - Esperia sulphurella (stunner), Puss Moth, Mullein, Lesser Swallow Prominent & Dark Swordgrass.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Esperia sulphurella 001.jpg
    Esperia sulphurella 001.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Puss Moth 001.jpg
    Puss Moth 001.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Mullein 001.jpg
    Mullein 001.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Lesser Swallow Prominent 001.jpg
    Lesser Swallow Prominent 001.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Dark Swordgrass 001.jpg
    Dark Swordgrass 001.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A few more pics - Agonopterix rotundella, Knot Grass, Oak-tree Pug, Poplar Hawkmoth & Shuttle-shaped Dart.

Attachments

• Agonopterix rotundella 002.jpg
    Agonopterix rotundella 002.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Knot Grass 002.jpg
    Knot Grass 002.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Oak-tree Pug 001.jpg
    Oak-tree Pug 001.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 5
  • Poplar Hawkmoth 001.jpg
    Poplar Hawkmoth 001.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Shuttle-shaped Dart 002.jpg
    Shuttle-shaped Dart 002.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 4
30/04. Only 4 moths, but Frosted Green was new for garden. Another I was rather hoping to get so pleased to find it on the house wall.
Others were Lunar Marbled Brown, Powdered Quaker and LBAM. Every one outside the trap.
Given how cold it has been this April I'm happy the month is over, just hope May is an improvement. As said above by Paul they couldn't be worse.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back