• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Argentina (Misiones) rarities (1 Viewer)

GuyCox

Guy the Guide
Hi all - this thread is intended as a mini "alert" section for rarities in Misiones - the Iguazu region - of Argentina, for people in or soon to visit the area.

Please post species/date/locality as minimum, with photo if poss.

Many thanks -

Guy Cox
www.tucaibirding.com.ar

Masked Water-Tyrant San Sebastian de la Selva

Fluvicola nengeta - Masked Water-Tyant at San Sebastian de la Selva (R101, dept Gral. Belgrano, 64 km n B de Irigoyen, Misiones, Argentina) has been at this locality since 14 February, apparently. Easily observed in vegetation along side of small stream in fields near main buildings. This is the fourth record for this species in Argentina but this time the individual happened to land in the grounds of a birding lodge owned by professional photographer Ramon Moller Jensen. Photos soon..!

Guy Cox
www.tucaibirding.com.ar

Hi Alan, I live in the province of Misiones, I could never see a Aegolius harrisii still; in the northern part of the province, where there is more rainforest this owl to be much more frequent, have to go out at night, but my wife will not believe me go to see owls=) =) =)

Hi Marcelo - where are you in Misiones - we may be close! I have published records of Aegolius harrisii for Yaboti and Urugua-i/Uruzu, but I have never seen it either!

There is an XL compilation of these published sightings of rare birds in Misiones, with a Spanish names version available, at www.tucaibirding.com.ar/birdlists_and_maps.html

As far as your Fluvicola pics - great photos and interesting the species was there last year as well, probably the same individual? Maybe we'll soon have a breeding record for Argentina...

Best, and thanks for your participation,
buanas avistajes - Guy

In hope of renewing this thread...
Recent Misiones sightings include:
29/10/2014 - Blackish Blue Seedeater (Amaurospiza moesta) 4 males heard singing, 1 pair seen in bamboo on southern loop trail of Parque Provincial Urugua-i. I have seen this species in the same big Guadua bamboo patches previously, but this is presumably peak singing and reproductive season and a good opportunity to see this normally tough bird. (Sorry no photo available)
Guy Cox
www.toucanbirding.com

Re the last post - for those who know the likely good birds of this little circuit: PP Urugua-i and San Sebastian de la Selva - this was the situation as of 26-29/10/2014:
San Sebastian de la Selva - Masked Water-Tyrant 1 ind. present; Common Tody Flycatcher not present, (but was found behind Park Guard Station in Urugua-i Uruzu.) Red-ruffed Fruitcrow lek still there but now probably in last weeks of activity. Spotted Bamboowren present; Speckle-breasted Antpitta present, and also at Urugua-i R101 entrance, which for me was a new locality for this little critter.

Full list of this and future trips in the Atlantic Forest of Misiones, Argentina, will be posted on "Guy's Birding Blog" http://www.toucanbirding.com/dir/

Guy Cox
www.toucanbirding.com

Hi Guy, I apologize for not answering your question, I live in Posadas and my appearances here on the site are very sporadic.
I was traveling a lot these past two years touring much of the province, only remains for me to know the area of San Pedro, only remains for me to know the gentleman Crossing PP and PP Araucaria.
I do not have much free time to dedicate to participate here, keep my blog updated I have taken quite some time. I hope to meet you personally in the future

Going through my notes I realize I didn't post this very surprising sighting up here on Birdforum's Argentina Rarities -

October 27th about 17.00 hours in overgrown weedy grassland close to a small lake in San Sebastian de la Selva, 2 presumed Dinelli's Doraditos. Very good looks in very good light, for about 20 seconds, Unfortunately NO PHOTOS - sorry! This would seem to be the first Misiones record for this species. Even though it's only a fairly tenuous sight record, the bird, although very poorly known, is not that hard to ID. Hope to see them again some time, or maybe they'll turn up somewhere close.

Best to all -
Guy
www.toucanbirding.com

List revival - 2017

Hi - sorry to abandon this list.

Updates for 2016-2017 include Sporophila lineola - Lined Seedeater: there are now 6 reports of this species in the Puerto Iguazu area on eBird, plus, two from Toucan Birding groups (photo on Toucan Birding news). Photo by Craig Swolsgard in Iguazu Nat Pk, Nov 2013. Our sighting of singing male in Puerto Iguazu hotel garden - 8 March 2017

Another recent Sporophila of note was Julian Baigorria's first Argentina record of Sporophila melanogaster - Black-bellied Seedeater - in Candelaria, Misiones. 21 Nov 2017. Nice going Julian - more info on this sighting

New photographic evidence came in 2016 for Eduard Militello's 2012-2013 sight records of new for Argentina Turdus fumigatus - Cocoa Thrush, in Reserva Estricta San Antonio. Article with photos here.

More soon!

Guy Cox
www.toucanbirding.com

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back