• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assorted Birds from Japan - Tokyo and Hokkaido (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

I just got back from a trip to Japan on Monday and now, as I currently can't sleep due to my timezones being messed up, I thought I'd get down to the business of getting the photos I'm unsure of identified.

The four candidates here:

1) Taken at Kamakura near Tokyo, there were a lot of cormorants about basking on rocks, and from the wedge shaped yellow section at the back of the beak and slight greenish tinge (not evident in this photo so much) I got that some of them were Japanese Cormorants? This is very much an identification based on descriptions I've read as I haven't found a side by side comparrison of Japanese with Great.

2) Also taken at Kamakura, from my birdbook for Japan ("A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Japan and North East-Asia"), I'm getting Brown-Headed Thrush, but there is a bit of resemblance to Pale thrush as well, so was hoping for a second oppinion.

3) Presumably Vega Gull? Given the only Larus-type gull I saw the whole trip that I've seen before was a Glaucous, and there seem to be three Herring Gull-type gulls in Japan, I'd like to confirm it.

4) Is the most difficult - this was taken from a moving train on a foggy day between Kushiro and Akkeshi over wooded hillside habitat. My initial impression was corvid but I wasn't getting an impression of Large-billed or Carrion. The wings seemed broad and hawk-like and I think I glimpsed a long beak (which you can just about make out in this picture).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alex

Attachments

• japanesecormorant.jpg
    japanesecormorant.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 108
  • thrushpaleorbrownheaded.jpg
    thrushpaleorbrownheaded.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 127
  • vegagulls.jpg
    vegagulls.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 108
  • broadwing.jpg
    broadwing.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 156
I just got back from a trip to Japan on Monday and now, as I currently can't sleep due to my timezones being messed up, I thought I'd get down to the business of getting the photos I'm unsure of identified.

The four candidates here:

1) Taken at Kamakura near Tokyo, there were a lot of cormorants about basking on rocks, and from the wedge shaped yellow section at the back of the beak and slight greenish tinge (not evident in this photo so much) I got that some of them were Japanese Cormorants? This is very much an identification based on descriptions I've read as I haven't found a side by side comparrison of Japanese with Great.

2) Also taken at Kamakura, from my birdbook for Japan ("A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Japan and North East-Asia"), I'm getting Brown-Headed Thrush, but there is a bit of resemblance to Pale thrush as well, so was hoping for a second oppinion.

3) Presumably Vega Gull? Given the only Larus-type gull I saw the whole trip that I've seen before was a Glaucous, and there seem to be three Herring Gull-type gulls in Japan, I'd like to confirm it.

4) Is the most difficult - this was taken from a moving train on a foggy day between Kushiro and Akkeshi over wooded hillside habitat. My initial impression was corvid but I wasn't getting an impression of Large-billed or Carrion. The wings seemed broad and hawk-like and I think I glimpsed a long beak (which you can just about make out in this picture).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alex

The first birds look like Japanese (Temminck's) Cormorant. The second is definitely Brown-headed, red underparts. The third shows two Vega. I might suggest Mountain Hawk Eagle for the fourth going by wing shape.

Neil Davidson

hi Alexj1

i am considering doing a trip the same as you have recently done ..I would appreciate any advice or info you can offer thanks

cheers

Kevvie

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back