• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Atlantic Rainforest of Rio de Janeiro, Itororo Lodge, South-East Brazil (1 Viewer)

madpitta

United States
Hello all,

I did a short 9-day birding trip to the Atlantic Forests of Rio de Janeiro in September. It took me from the lowland rainforests of REGUA (at the base of the south slope of the Serra do Mar Range) to the montane forests of the Nova Friburgo area and to the open country & dry semi-evergreen forests of Duas Barras & Carmo (on the north slope of the Serra do Mar Range). A surprising number of Atlantic Forest and country endemics are possible in this short transect and it is a great option for a first exploration of the Atlantic Forest. However, I don't do 'highlights trips', so even though this was a short trip, it was still a comprehensive coverage of this transect. The trip exceeded my expectations, and I wrote a detailed trip report with a diary, description of places and plenty of pictures (I've been slowly increasing the number of photos I take on a trip and I am enjoying this slight change in ways). You can read it in this link:

https://www.cloudbirders.com/be/download?filename=BARUAH_Brazil_09_2022.pdf

A summary of key species below:

Top 5:
1. Shrike-like Cotinga (Brazilian Laniisoma)
2. Bare-throated Bellbird
3. Gray-winged Cotinga & Black-and-gold Cotinga
4. Spot-billed Toucanet
5. Such’s Antthrush & Rufous-tailed Antthrush

Highlights:
1. Variegated Antpitta
2. Big-5 Antshrikes: Giant, White-bearded, Large-tailed, Tufted, Spot-backed
3. Big-6 Drymophila Antbirds: Bertoni’s, Ferruginous, Ochre-rumped, Dusky-tailed, Rufous-tailed, Scaled
4. Mega non-scytalopus tapaculos: Slaty Bristlefront, Spotted Bamboowren, White-breasted Tapaculo
5. Black-cheeked Gnateater & Rufous Gnateater
6. Hooded Berryeater
7. Black-billed Scythebill
8. Three-toed Jacamar
9. Fabulous endemic Tangara tanagers: Red-necked, Green-headed, Gilt-edged, Brassy-breasted
10. Pin-tailed Manakin & Swallow-tailed Manakin

Missed:
Saffron Toucanet, Swallow-tailed Cotinga, Spot-winged Wood-Quail, Thick-billed Saltator

Enjoy!
~Madpitta.

I already read it :)

Personally, the combination of unique species and the contrast between relatively advanced roads and cities vs. the jungle / rainforest is something I find fascinating about SE Brazil.

Really great trip report. Brazil's Atlantic forests are definitely high on my lists of places I would like to visit.

I already read it :)

Personally, the combination of unique species and the contrast between relatively advanced roads and cities vs. the jungle / rainforest is something I find fascinating about SE Brazil.

Yeah I found that pretty amazing too. It's quite evident within Rio city as well, with Tijuca and other wild areas visible from anywhere in the city. Even around Nova Friburgo, which happens to be the lingerie capital of Brazil, there is forest all around. There isn't much left but at least in SE Brazil it seems to be well protected.

Really great trip report. Brazil's Atlantic forests are definitely high on my lists of places I would like to visit.

All very accessible and there are not too many long drives between sites in the SE of the country. And safe! What is most convenient is the disciplined driving by the locals and the good condition of roads - easy to drive around.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back