• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attenborough nature reserve Nottinghamshire, Uk today (12/1/24) (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone.

I am a total novice in the field and would love to get some help with what me and my girlfriend saw at Attenborough nature reserve. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t something that is commonly sighted at the reserve because we’ve been through the British Birds pocket guide across the waterfowl and waders sections and nothing matches what we saw.

At the time my mrs had the binoculars and I was stood next to her when across the very edge of the water near the reed beds a small (smaller than a moorhen) light brownish bird came into view swimming across us. It had a tail tufted upwards with an orangey, medium length bill that was slightly curved downwards at the end.

It then hopped up onto the reed bed and scuttled across and out of sight. It was a very very brief sighting so I can’t give much more information than that.

5 minutes beforehand we were in the tower hide observing a little grebe so I’m pretty sure it wasn’t that!

That’s about all I can offer in terms of clues but would love to know what everyone thinks it might be. Any suggestions would be great and then I can google the suggestions and see if it matches with what we saw.

Thanks. ☺️

Edit. Hmmm. Ok. Maaaaybe a water rail?? That’s the closest I can find to what it MIGHT be in my book!!

Last edited:
not any moorhen I've seen
Not clear what your intention is here. If we learn anything in this forum from helping the less-experienced with photo-free ID queries, we learn (quickly) that, in order to arrive at a reasonable conclusion, we have to interpret the description (very) liberally - to the extent of, almost always, having to disregard entirely at least one (apparently key) feature of which the poster was fully convinced. On that basis, and having little idea of the OP's experience, it's appropriate to seek to exclude moorhen - which is a far far more likely species to see than water rail.
"orangey, medium length bill..."
Water rail sort of has that, but - strictly - doesn't. Moorhen sort of has that, but - strictly - doesn't. Hence..,. ask.
"...bill that was slightly curved downwards at the end."
Possibly, a description from someone less-experienced triggered by the curvature (especially at the end) of the culmen of moorhen's (medium-length) bill. Hence..,. ask.
And the OP's now considered that option and confidently rejected it. So, all good (y)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back