• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audio recording of unknown bird. Mission Viejo, CA, July 2nd, 2023 (1 Viewer)

gruntface

United States
On my walk today at a local park, I heard a new bird noise I couldn't identify. I am a daily visitor and the park has a variety of species (this week we started having a roadrunner visitor but the call doesn't sound like those on file). I usually have some success with Merlin but this time it drew a blank. You can hear some sparrows and finches but this is the persistent noise throughout the recording.

Can anyone help id this for me (recorded on my phone with some amplification so not the best recording but hopefully clear enough). I believe it was coming from some ground foliage, loose soil, sloping. Trees around the area also. Recorded 2:30pm

Birds that were around the park this week in case it's a different call from one of these (it is a very diverse park), maybe a nesting related call?
  • Greater Roadrunner
  • Song Sparrow
  • Spotted Towhee
  • Lesser Goldfinch
  • Berwicks Wren
  • American Crow
  • Bushtit
  • Red winged Blackbird
  • Black Phoebe
  • House Finch
  • Mourning Dove
  • Nuttal's Woodpecker
  • Cassin's Kingbird
  • Orange Crowned Warbler
  • Northern Mockingbird
  • Mountain Chickadee
  • Killdeer
  • Red Crowned Parrot
  • Brown Headed Cowbird
  • Great Egret
  • Western Wood Pewee
  • Hooded Oriole
  • White Throated Swift
  • Anna's Hummingbird
  • Red shouldered Hawk
  • Western Bluebird

First time posting so apologies if I missed rules/protocol.

Thanks in advance!
SoCal bird nerd

Attachments

• Bird Sound - MV 070223.mp3
    446.4 KB
I would guess that this is a Bewick's Wren if you are referring to the scolding call. They are very tough to pin down because they make such a diverse range of calls and have immense regional dialect variations. Most of the time I am left to say to myself, "Well, I'm not sure, I guess it must be a Bewick's Wren." There is also one singing in this recording towards the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back