• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barnacle Geese (1 Viewer)

dave6991

Have seen 3 small groups of Barnacle Geese in the river meadows on the Ivel River Bedfordshire, 2 groups of 6 and another of 2 birds in different meadows, my guide books say these are only winter visiters to Britain, is this true or as I suspect they are not that uncommon.

Escaped Barnacles are widespread throughout the country, often in small flocks. The chances of that many being seen now, and that far south, are less than miniscule I'm afraid.

Chris

Depends on how you look at it. They are almost as unlikely to be escapes as they are to be wild birds, and are most likely to be from the increasing feral population. Some people would argue these are 'countable' as they are self-sustaining, but it isn't quite the same as seeing wild birds in winter.

Stephen

That's really picky Stephen. ;) They have to be escaped though - feral alludes to domesticated, not captive, species escaped into the wild and breeding 8-P

Chris ;)

The population in Bedfordshire is countable in Cat C of the British list as a self sustaining feral population. There is a ringing scheme going on, so many will have red rings on the legs. I believe greatest breeding numbers are in the Willington area

That's really picky Stephen. ;) They have to be escaped though - feral alludes to domesticated, not captive, species escaped into the wild and breeding 8-P Chris ;)

Chris,
There have been several recent Dutch papers on winter geese 'losing' the migratory urge, which poses insurmountable problems for keeping track of winter migrant totals in some cases. In North America, so many wintering Canada Geese no longer migrate that the sedentary population has ceased to be identifiable as to species/subspecies in many locations. It's not impossible that a proportion of sedentary Barnacle Geese in UK originated in this way.
MJB

Chris,
There have been several recent Dutch papers on winter geese 'losing' the migratory urge, which poses insurmountable problems for keeping track of winter migrant totals in some cases. In North America, so many wintering Canada Geese no longer migrate that the sedentary population has ceased to be identifiable as to species/subspecies in many locations. It's not impossible that a proportion of sedentary Barnacle Geese in UK originated in this way.
MJB

Thanks, I didn't know that. *Should have know someone would give me a well deserved, if metaphorical slap though ;) *

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back