• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat ID SW Wales (1 Viewer)

Torchepot

United Kingdom
PXL_20231020_101427848.jpgPXL_20231020_101450934.jpg
This little guy fell on my foot just now when I opened the shed door. Tried to measure it but it's a bit hunched up and I didn't want to stress it out - at least 60mm head to tail.
SW Wales, wooded river valley.

Just realised it would have been much more useful to measure the forearm length - if it’s still around I’ll try later.

Last edited:
Thanks John
If I do try any further measurements is there anything else I should concentrate on (without putting the little fella through too much stress)?

It’s still where I left it (a bit worrying!) and I managed to measure the forearm which came out at 33mm, which fits nicely in the pipistrelle range according to the Notts Bat Group guide (see attached).
The tragus is minute and so hard to see properly but didn’t look pointed - if anything a bit club like and blunt. As for the post calcarial lobe there’s no way to check it without handling the bat more than I’d be comfortable with.

Attachments

• Identification_of_British_Bats.pdf
    248.3 KB · Views: 1
Here's a link to your local bat groups, who might be able to give more advice, if you think it needs care.

Do you know if there is a roost in the vicinity, and would you like to find out if there is?!.
If so, the bat group will be able to advise I'm sure.

Peter

Thanks Peter

They roost in the wall of the shed (amongst other places) the entrance seems to be above the door, but every now and then one apparently roosts actually on top of the door and when I open it they get dislodged. I was worried about this little guy as it’s quite cold and wet here today and it seemed semi- torpid so I popped him in an old nest box which is right next to where I found it and often has bats in it. Hopefully it will find its way home tonight.
I’m going to pin a note to the door to remind me to check for bats before I open it and more importantly before I close it!

Thanks Peter

They roost in the wall of the shed (amongst other places) the entrance seems to be above the door, but every now and then one apparently roosts actually on top of the door and when I open it they get dislodged. I was worried about this little guy as it’s quite cold and wet here today and it seemed semi- torpid so I popped him in an old nest box which is right next to where I found it and often has bats in it. Hopefully it will find its way home tonight.
I’m going to pin a note to the door to remind me to check for bats before I open it and more importantly before I close it!
Can you not tack/glue a strip of draught excluder or something similar to the top of the door? sounds a bit like something that will continue to happen ...

I don't know what species it is from the pic. I can only identify them 10 metres away, in flight, with my bat detector, bizarrely!
But Soprano Pipistrelle often have impressively big roosts, "Summer roosts support colonies of an average size of 200 bats, but they can be even larger with numbers reaching several hundred to over a thousand bats." Which must be quite a sight

Can you not tack/glue a strip of draught excluder or something similar to the top of the door? sounds a bit like something that will continue to happen ...
Hi Dan,
Yes it may happen again - this is the second time in 5 years, but if I block the gap they might be unable to get in to the roost (or even worse - to get out!!)

Hi Dan,
Yes it may happen again - this is the second time in 5 years, but if I block the gap they might be unable to get in to the roost (or even worse - to get out!!)
Fair enough - unless you can make an alternative ingress/access.

I guess it's an acceptable risk. Bats can't read so I guess it's up to you ...

I’ve tried to restrict the space between the door and the hole in the frame by shaping a fillet of wood and fixing it to the top, I guess I could gradually increase the size of the fillet so there’s no room for them to roost there but it’s a balancing act - too big and they’ll be trapped.

Checked on the bat yesterday and it had left the bird box OK so presumably returned to it’s roost none the worse for wear. Had a good look at the entrance to the roost and realised that most of the opening is accessible with the door closed so I’ve made a new strip of wood which fits the tapered gap above the door more snugly and only leaves a small space at the end with the hole. Hopefully this should stop them from roosting on top of the door.
I’m a bit concerned about the presence of the BRM (breathable roof membrane) which the entire structure is enveloped in. Can’t tell if their roost is affected without some major disturbance so I’ve decided to build a bat hotel under the eaves and see if they’ll adopt it. Their droppings will soon let me know if they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back