• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bee-eaters calling in NY, not (2 Viewers)

Chotacabras

I yesterday watched the 2023 film "Past Lives". At one point the lead female character goes to an artist's residency in "Montauk", which in real life is at the north of Long Island. It's a house in the country, and it sounds to me like Common Bee-eaters calling. Which can't be right.

Has anyone else seen the film? Are they bee-eaters, unscientifically included in the soundtrack? Or is there a US bird that sounds like bee-eater??? Or some other explanation (perhaps I'm mistaken, perhaps they're not bee-eaters).

If it's bee-eaters unscientifically stitched in, at least the sound effects guy deserves some kudos for originality... at least it's not that exact-same hawk call that is endlessly used in 1000s of movies!

There will be a sound file called "summer country ambience" or some such. The sound editor won't have a clue what bee eaters sound like or that one doesn't find bee eaters in Long Island.

Obvious explanation now you point it out Mono: thank you, duh. Still, with such massive attention to detail and authenticity in other respects, seems strange to me that high-end directors should treat this as unimportant. (I guess that only tiny% of movie-goers will notice, so commercially irrelevant.)

Many thanks for fascinating article Moose: I guess I see the logic of prohibiting use of captive native species in TV/film, though seems a bit unfair towards non-native species!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back