• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beetles for ID, Málaga province (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
Last few beetles for ID.
1. A large black species from the coast on 09.03.23. Antennae look wrong for Lucanidae.
2. A red and black species near arroyo de Casarabonela on 11.04.22.
3. ? A Lachnaia sp also near ar de Casarabonela on 11.04.22
4. Possibly Lachnaia hirta from arroyo de las Cañas on 18.05.23.
I believe Lachnaia probably need better photos than I have here!
Thanks once again for looking.

Attachments

• R10_006450.jpg
    R10_006450.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 600E_8596.jpg
    600E_8596.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 600E_8573.jpg
    600E_8573.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 12
  • R10_008217.jpg
    R10_008217.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 14
Although they look like Stag Beetles they are Ground beetles , Carabidae. This big boy is Scarites sp ,not sure of exact species.I photographed two males fighting many years ago , they were Scarites cyclops , but they had a grooved elytra.The red and black beauty is a Leaf Beetle , Chrysomelidae —- Colaspidema dufouri , another one I have never seen. You are right about the Lachnaia sp ,pretty hard to be sure of exact species , I have been put right on many occasions for getting the wrong ID.

Last edited:
Although they look like Stag Beetles they are Ground beetles , Carabidae. This big boy is Scarites sp ,not sure of exact species.I photographed two males fighting many years ago , they were Scarites cyclops , but they had a grooved elytra.The red and black beauty is a Leaf Beetle , Chrysomelidae —- Colaspidema dufouri , another one I have never seen. You are right about the Lachnaia sp ,pretty hard to be sure of exact species , I have been put right on many occasions for getting the wrong ID.
Thanks very much creaturesnapper - very helpful. With a bit of searching I found that S.buparius is a coastal dunes species in Spain but I really needed to have measured it and got better photos of the legs! So scarites sp it stays :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back