• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Benro vs Manfrotto stability comparison (1 Viewer)

In certain circumstances it's the best idea, IMO. But let's not do politics... we've made our points. ;)
For some of us international politics are an issue. I researched tripods a few years ago and went with Manfrotto. I am not about to say I will not buy anything from China but given and alternative, even at a higher price I will, without hesitation. For me it is North America, Europe, or Japan. If I every see something I need from some of the South American countries at competitive prices I will give them consideration, but very rarely see any thing from that part of the world. A few year ago I bought a couple of precision 10 meter target air pistols that are Russian, would I do it now, no.

Not all Chinese brands are equal. Benro/Induro and Leofoto are the better ones. I prefer Italian-made Gitzos (sadly they moved production out of France years ago when Manfrotto acquired them) but I do have a Leofoto LS-224C that is lightweight and excellent.

Keep in mind the tripod head matters as well, and of course at 60x heat haze will be an issue.

Hello @Peregrine Took , have you already had time to use your new Manfrotto? I'm curious about a feedback!

BR, Alex

Sorry, I'm a bit late to reply to this one, but I returned the Manfrotto. Having scoffed at another member saying the lever locks would 'bite' your hands, it happened to me, a couple of times... and it hurt!

So instead, I bought a Gitzo carbon GT2545T travel tripod which was mint used, from a UK photographic dealer called MPB. It's a super-stable tripod with the Kowa 773 and has good height. It came with the Gitzo spiked feet and rubber caps. I now have an Opticron MM4 77mm and I use it with a 1720 Gitzo head, which I love... single knob operation, no good for panning, but I don't do video.

Gitzo feels like a step up from Manfrotto in terms of quality and ergonomics, but that's subjective of course.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm a bit late to reply to this one, but I returned the Manfrotto. Having scoffed at another member saying the lever locks would 'bite' your hands, it happened to me, a couple of times... and it hurt!

So instead, I bought a Gitzo carbon GT2545T travel tripod which was mint used, from a UK photographic dealer called MPB. It's a super-stable tripod with the Kowa 773 and has good height. It came with the Gitzo spiked feet and rubber caps. I now have an Opticron MM4 77mm and I use it with a 1720 Gitzo head, which I love... single knob operation, no good for panning, but I don't do video.

Gitzo feels like a step up from Manfrotto in terms of quality and ergonomics, but that's subjective of course.

Apart from feel and sense of quality that the Gitzo give, how would you rate the stability and usability of the Gitzo gt2545t compared to the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3? Have you had them both for some time together, to compare?

I have the 055cxpro4, which I find very good, but am contemplating the GT2545T as an 'upgrade' for its lighter weight, at least if it is as sturdy and stable, as mentioned on another thread. (They have very similar specs regarding size, leg diameter etc. However, the gt2545t is specced as much lighter, but also with a lower maximum load.)
(The smaller GT1545T is e.g.great for my small 50mm scope, but I don't consider it OK for heavier a 65-80mm scope, though others might.)

Apart from feel and sense of quality that the Gitzo give, how would you rate the stability and usability of the Gitzo gt2545t compared to the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3? Have you had them both for some time together, to compare?

I didn't have them side-by-side, so all I can say is that for my relatively simple needs, viewing only (no photography or video) and usually in favourable weather, it has never even crossed my mind that the Gitzo lacked for stability.

There are several threads on the Forum relating to the Gitzo (at least one of them influenced my purchase), so you might find more expert analysis, across a wider range of uses, than I can offer you.

There is such a thing as dual-nationality, but this forum software does support that. Nor does it allow you to express that your residence (London, in my case) is not always the same as your nationality.

Hope I've not caused any offence. It was my own stupidity in not reading your post properly that prompted the enquiry... I'm as embarrassed as a red herring!

No offense taken, don’t worry. I always find my answer to “where are you from?’ Is “it’s complicated”. Fortunately London is such a cosmopolitan city no one bats an eyelid.

Last edited:
The joints at the spider (where the legs meet) are tighter and the Benro legs have collets instead of quick release clamps. Collets are much stiffer.....

That may be so as a generalisation, but while revisiting the thread (because I'm on the fence about going back to quick release clamps instead of twist locks) I found a review of the MT055CXPRO3 by The Center Column, which states:

"Manfrotto has traditionally stuck with flip locks for the legs on its tripods, and the MT055[CXPRO3] is no exception. It features the newest generation called 'Quick Power Lock'. The locks are indeed very quick to use, much quicker than your typical twist locks. There was no apparent loss of stability due to these leg locks, so overall I consider them a win."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back