• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bino Experience (1 Viewer)

Hi. Just joined the forum a few days ago after perusing this excellent website for about a week. I’ve only been birding for a couple of years now and am definitely a novice. Thought I would share some thoughts about my binocular experiences.

Started with a pair of Leica Trinovid 8x42 BA’s about 5 years ago. Found them to be excellent optically for me although the close focus of 17 ft was a problem; I have a good viewing chair in our courtyard where I would watch hummingbirds at our feeder - distance is about 12 ft so had to view without binos.

Then recently, as so many others, I was excited by all the reviews at BVD and Optics4birding websites. Soooo - I then checked out the Nikon Venturer 8x32 LX’s and talked myself into purchasing a pair. Very nice optically, handling very good, etc. but wanted more forgiving eye comfort (larger exit pupil to allow less critical eye placement). Bought the larger Nikon Venturer 8x42 LX’s; outstanding - except neither Venturer focussed to my satisfaction. I found myself continually refocussing (too rapid for me to be sure of being dead on; guess I’m getting less facile with age). Finally, a few days ago, went to nearby optics dealer and decided to try Leica Trinovid 8x42 BN’s. Yes, I know, the newer and probably “greater” Ultravids are now available.

I love the Trinovid BN’s. Excellent, comfortable view, close focus fine for me. Unlike most others, I really like the “bricklike” construction (typical of a retired engineer) and find the handling very comfortable. When focussing, I home right in to a sharp image and do not have to keep fiddling with the focus.

So I’ve decided that those who advise that we try before buying after deciding exactly what features are most important are giving excellent advice. I was too easily enraptured by all the latest hype. I’ve babbled on long enough - done.

P.S. Does anyone have a recommendation for a source of tethered objective lens caps for my new bins?

Len,

Welcome to the forum!

I use Leica 8x42's.....and am very happy with them!
I do not know of any objective lens caps for Leicas...but I'm sure that if they are available...some one on here will know.
Hummingbirds at your feeder!...WOW....
You lucky fellow!

Dave.

Swarovski make tethered caps that might fit your Leica binocular. I guess it all depends on the size of the big ends!

Len,

Excellent observations, to each his (or her) own. A binocular is such a subjective item, I seldom make a specific recommendation although Leica has been my choice the last three times I purchased a binocular.

You should be able to find tethered objective covers at Eagle Optics.

JB

jad29 said:
eagle optics sells generic tethered objective covers in different sizes.

Jad

Thanks to one and all for responses. I believe that the standard Eagle Optics tethered objective lens covers don't work on the thicker rimmed bino's. I'll have to see if I can find them elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back