• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID. 7/2/22 USA, West Coast (1 Viewer)

I had a bird that I have not seen before in my backyard. Before I could grab my camera the beautiful little bird flew off. I have searched and cannot find a picture of this bird. The closest ID I could compare is a Steller Jay. The difference is coloring. The entire body was grey, lighter towards the tail and darker towards the head. The head and beak was a jet black with the pronounced "crown" on it's head just like the Steller Jay. Thank you in advance for helping to ID.

. . . Canada Jay. Coloration and pattern seems to match.
But that species' largely- and contrastingly-white head would very not match 'head and beak was a jet black'. Nor does 'pronounced "crown" on it's head' fit Canada jay. Hence the OP's bird seems more like Steller's jay - but the blue parts of the plumage were incorrectly registered (for reasons of lighting or otherwise).

Last edited:
It's definitely shaped like a Jay but coming from the east coast I've never seen one of these.

Thanks to everyone for there help in identifying this bird. It is indeed a Black Phoebe. My family has lived on this property for 60+ years and none of us can recall seeing this type of bird before.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back