• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in North Central Texas (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

I saw a bird this morning flying to and from the ground from fence along the side of my garden. Typically, when I see a bird doing this around here, it's almost always an Eastern Phoebe and there was one of those in close proximity doing the same thing this bird was doing. However, this bird looked almost a yellowish brown to me as I watched him from a distance. Went in and got my camera with a 600 mm lens and was able to get a few decent shots and as I looked at them, I don't think I've ever seen a bird quite like this one and wondering if anyone has a clue what it might be. Assume it's a flycatcher of some type, but the Phoebe is only one that hangs around here most of the time and color on this one is nowhere near that of the Phoebe's I regularly see. Middle photo is of a Eastern Phoebe that was on fence close to him.

Attachments

• IMG_3693.JPG
    IMG_3693.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3696.JPG
    IMG_3696.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3699.JPG
    IMG_3699.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3701.JPG
    IMG_3701.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3703.JPG
    IMG_3703.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
It's a leucistic individual of something. Given its red eyes, could well be a true albino. As to species, difficult but probably another Phoebe

It's a leucistic individual of something. Given its red eyes, could well be a true albino. As to species, difficult but probably another Phoebe
I've considered that, particularly since there was a Phoebe close to it when I spotted the two of them. I've certainly not been able to find anything in my bird guide that looks like this bird.

I agree with the Fern, except I wouldn't consider it an albino due to the presence of some light-brown pigment. If you look closely (e.g., on the chest), that pigment is basically a shadow of a normal phoebe color pattern. Bill shape, tail shape, etc. all look good for phoebe too. It's interesting that the bill and feet are rather pinkish - this is a rarity. Again, true albino should be even more striking (no dark pigment at all even in the feet and bill), but it's close.

I agree with the Fern, except I wouldn't consider it an albino due to the presence of some light-brown pigment. If you look closely (e.g., on the chest), that pigment is basically a shadow of a normal phoebe color pattern. Bill shape, tail shape, etc. all look good for phoebe too. It's interesting that the bill and feet are rather pinkish - this is a rarity. Again, true albino should be even more striking (no dark pigment at all even in the feet and bill), but it's close.
I think it was the color that made me think it wasn't leucistic, but something other than a Phoebe, but it did seem to be interacting with a normal looking Phoebe and, like you said in every other way looked like a Phoebe. Certainly didn't see any other flycatchers as I checked my bird guide that we would normally see around here that looked anything like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back