• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird lovers cry foul over parakeet killings (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
From CNN:

Bird lovers cry foul over parakeet killings

Monday, December 5, 2005; Posted: 2:15 p.m. EST (19:15 GMT)

HARTFORD, Connecticut (AP) -- Julie Cook came home from work Wednesday night to find utility crews tearing down a parakeet nest from a pole and taking the birds away to be killed.

"I couldn't NOT do anything," said the 37-year-old West Haven woman. "So I started yelling at them and standing under the nest."

Brown was arrested on a breach-of-peace charge.

Bird lovers delighted by the chattering and the brilliant green-and-gray markings of Connecticut's wild parakeets are upset over an effort by United Illuminating Co. to remove 103 large nests from its utility poles and destroy the birds.

The utility, which serves about 320,000 customers in southern Connecticut, says the 200-pound nests of sticks and twigs cause fires and blackouts.

The monk parakeets, which are actually small parrots native to South America, started establishing colonies in the wild across the Northeast about 40 years ago after pet owners accidentally or deliberately released them.

There are also colonies in Florida and elsewhere in the South and in the West.

In Connecticut, where the communal nests are home to as many as 40 parakeets each, United Illuminating captures the pigeon-size birds with a net and turns them over to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which kills them with carbon dioxide.

That has outraged bird lovers.

"We've lived with these birds since we moved here eight years ago," Cook said. "We love them. They are exotic and beautiful. Me and my neighbors, we feed these birds."

Priscilla Feral, president of Friends of Animals, said: "This is a $125,000 senseless and immoral project. There is no crime that these lovely birds have committed that would warrant their senseless killing."

More than 130 of the pigeon-sized birds have been killed in the first weeks of the eradication project, which began last month. United Illuminating hopes to have all the nests down in January.

Four fires over the past four years and about a dozen outages per year are blamed on the nests, which can cause a short-circuit if built too close to a transformer, utility spokesman Al Carbone said.

"We've gotten calls from people on life support, worried about these nests causing their power to go out," he said. "They are on pins and needles."

The bird lovers are not convinced the parakeets are as bad as the utility says, and contend killing is not necessary -- only the nests should be removed.

"These are very smart birds," said Laura Simon, urban wildlife director for the Humane Society of the United States. "If you harass them correctly at the right time of year, they will learn not to build on the poles and will move someplace else."

Florida Power & Light Co. has been struggling with monk parakeets for years. The utility has been working with the University of Florida to discourage nest-building on power equipment, and has tried using stuffed birds of prey, chemical repellents, noise, even odors, all without success. Sometimes the utility takes the nests down and kills the birds, spokeswoman Pat Davis said.

In New York City, the nests are a problem for Consolidated Edison in Brooklyn. The utility removes the nests but does not capture the birds, spokesman Chris Olert said.

"When we get to the nests the birds routinely take off," he said.

I know I will get lambasted for this! This is all due to the stupidity of people, as ever. However, I am in favor of extirpation of xenospecies wherever they start colonizing. We already have a daunting task trying to preserve as much as possible fragile ecosystems and they do not help regardless of how pretty or endearing they are. There is also a big problem of Psittacids in Southwest US. They do occupy niches and compete with the native species to the detriment of the latter. I only wish we could control the idiots that release them and allow this type of situation to occur. It is obviously not the birds fault. Being a bird lover should mean taking into account all the ramifications of our actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back