• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding companies for Borneo/Malaysian Peninsula (2 Viewers)

Travelbirder

United States
Hi all!
We are thinking of booking a trip to Borneo and are wondering if anyone had a birding company they could recommend? We've looked at Tropical Birding and Field Guides online and they both seem to have similar itineraries. Anyone out there with any experience in this trip or with either company?
Thanks!

No experience of either company but on one of our trips to Borneo we used Naturetrek to book the travel arrangements and they got us local guides on Mt Kinabalu, Kingabatang River, Danum (although this was actually a rainforest lodge guide) and Sepilok. It worked well for us and was a lot less expensive than fully guided.

Hi all!
We are thinking of booking a trip to Borneo and are wondering if anyone had a birding company they could recommend? We've looked at Tropical Birding and Field Guides online and they both seem to have similar itineraries. Anyone out there with any experience in this trip or with either company?
Thanks!
Went on a trip to Borneo with Field Guides in 2019, and it was great--good accomodations, lots of cool birds, a nice variety of wildlife. It might be helpful if you say more about what you are looking for, if you want more feedback. (You can check the link in my signature for my photos of the trip--though I just noticed FG is using several of my photos (with attribution) in their Borneo slideshow!)

I went on one trip with Tropical Birding to Ecuador several years ago; it was okay, but guide was somewhat inexperienced. Last time I checked, their website doesn't even tell you the guides on the trip ahead of time, so that makes me reluctant to travel with them again.

Last edited:
Just throwing my opinion out here, but wouldn't it be best to contact a local guide?

I'm guessing you want to book a trip for next year and if you go directly with a local guide, they can cater better to your targets and save on average a couple of grand compared to the big companies (especially the two listed).

If you want, I can link you the names of some guides in Borneo and Peninsular Malaysia.

There are local operators, and also local lodges in Borneo at Kinabatangan and Danum. But some local operators specialize in extremely pricey luxury tours for photographers.

No experience of either company but on one of our trips to Borneo we used Naturetrek to book the travel arrangements and they got us local guides on Mt Kinabalu, Kingabatang River, Danum (although this was actually a rainforest lodge guide) and Sepilok. It worked well for us and was a lot less expensive than fully guided.
Thank you! We have not done much International birding so we are just testing the waters! Appreciate the guidance!

Just throwing my opinion out here, but wouldn't it be best to contact a local guide?
As a local guide yourself, I can see why you would suggest that. :) But it always depends on the circumstances--it is not the best option for many, especially in a developing country with a language few travelers will speak. But if you don't mind spending more time on logistics, are on a tight budget, are willing to risk working directly with foreign operators, have other people who are willing to join you on the trip, and don't mind not having a guide who is a native english speaker, then it could be the best way to go.

Last edited:

I'm guessing you want to book a trip for next year and if you go directly with a local guide, they can cater better to your targets and save on average a couple of grand compared to the big companies (especially the two listed).

If you want, I can link you the names of some guides in Borneo and Peninsular Malaysia.
That sounds fantastic, thanks! Yes, the local guides would be the best. We are a bit unsure how to handle the "mechanics" of the trip (transportation to lodges, birding sites, etc.) so we're thinking of using a big company to organize it all. It sounds like, however, we can certainly benefit from the experience on this forum!
We are newly retired birders from Midwest USA, just beginning photographers, don't need mech luxury. Better hikers than birders!

I used Borneo Eco Tours; they provided a guide and transport for 2 of us to do the major sites over a fortnight. I would recommend a little longer if possible; we missed Poring Hot Springs and were pushed for time at some sites.

That sounds fantastic, thanks! Yes, the local guides would be the best. We are a bit unsure how to handle the "mechanics" of the trip (transportation to lodges, birding sites, etc.) so we're thinking of using a big company to organize it all. It sounds like, however, we can certainly benefit from the experience on this forum!
We are newly retired birders from Midwest USA, just beginning photographers, don't need mech luxury. Better hikers than birders!
Contact Jason Bugay, he is also a member here in Birdforum and is one of the top birders for Sabah, Borneo: Birders Of Sabah Borneo Island

If you want someone for both Peninsular and Borneo, then Liewwk Nature might be good: liewwk Nature

As a local guide yourself, I can see why you would suggest that. :) But it always depends on the circumstances--it is not the best option for many, especially in a developing country with a language few travelers will speak. But if you don't mind spending more time on logistics, are on a tight budget, are willing to risk working directly with foreign operators, have other people who are willing to join you on the trip, and don't mind not having a guide who is a native english speaker, then it could be the best way to go.
I agree with that mindset and I would never advice to go fully local in some difficult countries like Papua New Guinea, but overall, I'd say that Borneo can be easily coordinated with a local guide and save a lot of time and money without going through these big companies.

I agree with that mindset and I would never advice to go fully local in some difficult countries like Papua New Guinea, but overall, I'd say that Borneo can be easily coordinated with a local guide and save a lot of time and money without going through these big companies.
Agree Malaysian Borneo has good tourist infrastructure. But having had bad experiences going local or with small companies elsewhere, e.g. Ghana, I personally prefer big companies, if you can afford it, for the reasons I suggested.

You could contact Birdtour Asia. They have both regular and custom tour options to Borneo, are highly regarded, and use local guides.
Your itinerary will depend to an extent on how much time you can spend, and whether you want to see as many specialities as possible, or concentrate a few sites. If the former, you should aim to visit both Sabah and Sarawak, and also visit the Bulwer's Pheasant hides at Trus Madi and Bornean Peacock Pheasant hide at Telupid which aren't included in some regular tours.

Do be aware that while Borneo is one of the best bird and wildlife destinations in Asia, it's mostly tropical forest and photography is difficult.

You could contact Birdtour Asia. They have both regular and custom tour options to Borneo, are highly regarded, and use local guides.
Your itinerary will depend to an extent on how much time you can spend, and whether you want to see as many specialities as possible, or concentrate a few sites. If the former, you should aim to visit both Sabah and Sarawak, and also visit the Bulwer's Pheasant hides at Trus Madi and Bornean Peacock Pheasant hide at Telupid which aren't included in some regular tours.

Do be aware that while Borneo is one of the best bird and wildlife destinations in Asia, it's mostly tropical forest and photography is difficult.
Which is also why the bird hides and canopy towers are your best friends to get some of the sought-after photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back