• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding South Korea in winter (1 Viewer)

Hi
My wife visiting South Korea in January next year. We are particularly keen to find wintering ducks and geese. We will have a car hired for 8 full days and will be self guided. Does anybody have experience of birding in S.Korea in winter, and know any good sites for wildfowl particularly Scaly-sided Merganser as we are particularly interested in seeing this species. We are both retired and are conscientious birders, and will not disturb the birds.
Roger Labbett
Louth, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi
Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully someone from S.Korea will be able to help.
Best wishes
Roger

This is rather a quiet corner of the forum, so fingers crossed. I'm thinking you will have probably already have a basic itinerary (Gunsan and Cheorwon) and will have tracked down Birds Korea which gives a good feel for what is being seen in the monthly report archives?

Hi Ed
I am looking for practical information on whether you can drive to and have access to a site from which the cranes are viewable from near the DMZ. Also the rivers in the north where we can look for Scaly-sided Merganser and how far from the cranes they are. I am just now trying to make a plan and it would most helpful if we had more specific information on locations. Unfortunately we cannot aford to hire a guide for all of this part of our trip. Do you have experiences you can share?
Thanks
Roger

Hi Ed
I am looking for practical information on whether you can drive to and have access to a site from which the cranes are viewable from near the DMZ. Also the rivers in the north where we can look for Scaly-sided Merganser and how far from the cranes they are. I am just now trying to make a plan and it would most helpful if we had more specific information on locations. Unfortunately we cannot aford to hire a guide for all of this part of our trip. Do you have experiences you can share?
Thanks
Roger

I'm embarassed to say I can't remember whether R-c Cranes were before or after the military checkpoints in Cheorwon- it might be worth sending a PM to Richard Klim (assuming you already have what is in his 2005 trip report on Birdtours) as he has a significantly better mastery of detail than me!

Hi Ed
Thanks for this. Do you remember viewing the cranes from a hill (White Horse Hill Memorial) overlooking the DMZ. I have spoken to Richard Klim but he was not able to help.
Roger

Hi Ed
Thanks for this. Do you remember viewing the cranes from a hill (White Horse Hill Memorial) overlooking the DMZ. I have spoken to Richard Klim but he was not able to help.
Roger

Since you have pressed so politely, I have had a delve into my soft memory and hard drive and here's a bit more.

An email to Nial Moores may get you a more orderly answer, but bear in mind the he is one of a very pressed small band of conservationists in South Korea, so don't be offended if you don't get the help you are hoping for.

1. I was up at Cheorwon at dawn to watch the cranes flying west to feeding grounds, out of a roost site to the north-east which I recall being told was in the DMZ (i.e. the roost itself was). I think the flypast was between 7 and 730AM and I got there with only a few minutes to spare. About 125 cranes in total, White-naped and Red-crowned. It was seriously cold there at first light: in the -10C to -20C range.

2. Yes, the location I watched from was a monument. After I walked down from it at 8ish, two soldiers with machine guns came running down the steps after me shouting, which had a momentarily laxative effect - but that was because I had left my telescope up there and they were returning it, so doesn't necessarily imply it was a restricted zone...

3. The white horse? You have googled well: I had no idea it was called that, or had completely forgotten but I took a photo as attached, to record the somewhat incongruous street furniture. So given your question, I suspect the white horse on the left is a big clue! No guarantee it is the same place though.

4. Also attached is long range pic of a party of cranes to give you a feel for things- the mountains in the background are North Korea. If you look closely you can see that it was so cold the cranes were flying with their legs tucked forward into their breast feathers, like godwits do over here in a freeze up. I've never seen cranes do that even in Hokkaido.

5. Some feeding cranes remained in the general area of the monument during the day.

6. Later on we headed closer to (but probably still not in) the DMZ for Cinereous Vultures- a monster flock of 585 on the dam of a reservoir with a light scatter of eagles (Golden, White-tailed, Steller's). We had certainly gone through checkpoints by then and there were soldiers on-hand giving instructions as to how far north we were allowed to scan when counting the vultures.

7. I have reversed googled your white horse monument clue and find http://www.currentzoology.org/temp/{48A94FC1-00CE-4C6B-B656-9BE3BEC7B01E}.pdf as you probably have, which includes a map of sorts.

8. I've seen the odd report of bus tours to see cranes in Cheorwon into an area where buses are allowed, but private vehicles are not. [Here's one: sounds like a birder's nightmare: http://subhojitchakz.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/cheorwon-trip-closer-look-at-rare.html ] I'm afraid, as per my earlier reply, I simply don't know if this reflects the existence of access restrictions outside the DMZ itself- things may have changed since 2005 and not necessarily for the better.

I hope that helps- I certainly enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

Attachments

• q7 750 2492.jpg
    q7 750 2492.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 92
  • q9 750 2491.jpg
    q9 750 2491.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Dear Ed
I am sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I have been away with my son for a bonding weekend. Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply and very useful links. I found the White Horse Monument on Google Earth 38 16'19.51" N and 127 09'58.37 E on search for Cheorwon, S. Korea. There are two photos of the monuments which I hope will ring bells with you. I would attach the photos but I dont know how to. I think that we will just have to drive up there, weather permitting and try an spot the cranes without being arrested! As you said in your paragraph two - I had previously been in direct contact with Nial, but have had little joy since I told him that we could not afford a full time guide for this part of our trip. If we were just doing S Korea that would not have been a problem. All that I can find out about finding Scaly-sided Merganser is that the northern river site must be a fairly short distance from the cranes as tours seem to end the same day just north of Seoul at the arberetum. The name of the river and nearest town would at least give us a chance to see this lovely species. As I said I am a real wildfowl enthusiast and our main reason for visiting S Korea at this time is for this species, Baikal Teal, Falcated Duck and Swan Goose none of whom I have seen or likely to be in position to see again (my wife is not an enthusiast of northern cold climates!). Did you see these species and if so are you able to help with a location?
By the way how did you get on with the cold - we will be coming up from the tropics and will have to take warm weather cloths with us which is a concern with luggage limits. I appreciate you help with this. I will give you my phone number for a chat if that helps.
Best wishes, Roger

Hello there- well done for persevering! To help as best I can, here's a bit more on the species you mention.

It's all much less helpful than I like it to be, but South Korea is a very tricky place for bird gen. Birds are oftentimes not on reserves and there are very few birders out in the field. I would recommend intensively scouring the bird news archives, bird sightings blog entries on the Birds Korea site. I'm assuming you have penetrated the site as far as the location list here: http://www.birdskorea.org/Our_Work/Research/MoE-Locations/BK-RES-MoE-Locations.shtml

Cheorwon/R-c Cranes: I'm told that [as things stand!] the white horse monument is not in a restricted area and is open to the public. I'm not currently logged into the right version of Google earth, but it sounds like you have tracked it down.

Scalies: I just don't know where the Scaley site is in the NE. Just somewhere amongst a maze of icy roads, nameless (to me) frozen rivers and reservoirs etc.

Baikal Teal: The best known site for the megaflock is/was at the barrage across the Geum river at Gunsan, easy to find on google earth. But the flock can be nomadic, so for example when I was there in 2005 I saw 4 individuals- the other 449,996 had pushed off ahead of blizzard the previous week, whereabouts unknown! I've seen trip reports more recently where they have proved similarly elusive.

Swan Goose: I think they still winter on the Geum estuary, feeding on the mudflats. I've seen them by the Geum barrage at high tide and when they are out on the flats, I think your best chance may be along the Janghang coast. I've not seen them on the Han-imjin or Nakdong, but others have.

Falcated Duck: I've not seen many Falcated Duck in South Korea. When I have, it's been a case of bumping into them amongst other commoner ducks on reservoirs etc. You might do better in south-east, somewhere like Upo wetland.

Cold: Normal rules apply- plenty of layers, and enough room in boots for some air to warm up.

Thanks Ed
You have been a great help and you are encouraging me to keep researching until I work out a suitable intinerary. I am looking forward to the challenge!!
Best wishes
Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back