• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds, Bears and Wolves? (1 Viewer)

Neilos

Neil Carr
Hi Was thinking of doing a mini trip to Sweden - fly to Stockholm (start of May) and was wondering which site would be good for seeing/photographying bears, maybe wovles and any nice bird species or other mammals?

I was thinking of hiring a car and drive up to 3 hours from the airport and maybe concentrate 1 or 2 locations. Also is camping a feasible option?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Neil

Well, wolves are very rare, and if you want to see one I would assume you need either a guide or extreme luck. Bears are more common, but very shy and usually hide from people, so the best way to see them is spending time in a hide. I believe there are special bear hides where they feed the bears so they show up... maybe google it? :)
I think the best places for seeing larger mammals are north of Stockholm, where it is more sparsely populated. I did find this site when I did a quick search on Google, there are probably other sites about wildlife safari as well.
http://www.nordicsafari.net/eng/index.html

As for birds, it all depends on what you want to see! :) Early May is a wonderful time to go birding in Sweden.

Camping might be feasible, although nights can still be very chilly in May. The weather at that time of year can be pretty much anything from really cold to midsummer warmth.

Hi Neil!

If you want to see bears or wolves your best chances are further north and/or west, about 3-4 hours by car. There are options for safaris but I have no experiences with them. I spend a lot of time outdoors but have only seen bears (a sow with two grown cubs) once, they try their best to avoid you, so a guided tour to a hide would probably be your best option. I've also seen a wolf once, but only from the car. Tracks and other signs are common in areas where they have denser populations.

But there are many good places to bird near Stockholm!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back