• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in MA (September) (1 Viewer)

Hi, all!

I've attached some photos of birds which I'd like some ID help with.

1) Black-bellied plover
2) Greater yellowlegs
3) Sanderling
4) Northern harrier
5) Not sure?
6) Short-billed dowitcher?

Thanks!

Attachments

• black-bellied plover.png
    black-bellied plover.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 11.18.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 11.18.42 AM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 24
  • sanderling.png
    sanderling.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
  • harrier.png
    harrier.png
    5 MB · Views: 36
  • not sure?.png
    not sure?.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 45
  • short-billed dowitcher.png
    short-billed dowitcher.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 40
Hello,

I dare to comment only on two birds: I agree with you, first is a Black-bellied Plover (large, massive bill and complete lack of black on rear vent, yes moult...) and the Sanderling (lack of hind-toe is judgeable with confidence due to excellent picture quality. Everything else is also good for a moulting adult bird in september)

Greater Yellowlegs for #2, agree with the previous posters on the others. It would be helpful if you spelled out the location name and gave the country. This is an international forum and MA could be Maine, Madagascar, Mali, Maui, Mauritius ...
This is a good note, but MA is probably Massachusetts as opposed to ME- Maine. Agree with all bird id contributions this far and will add another vote of confidence towards Hendersoni Short-billed Dowitcher. Long-billed would not ever show the bright orange scapulars and orange striped tertials.

1. Black-bellied Plover
2. Greater Yellowlegs
3. Sanderling
4. N Harrier
5. E Phoebe
6. Short-billed Dowitcher

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back