• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds love mud (well, some of them do): possibly Pallid Swifts? (1 Viewer)

Swifto

England
I was lucky to see some of these swifts in Languedoc Roussillon last week; the area around the Hotel de Thermes in Molitg les Bains (Pays Catalan). Are they Pallid Swift? And the other image here is Hawfinch (nice to get a photo of on the ground, and looking at me too!). The juvenile swifts were so lovely and obliging. I wasn't sure if they were also lifting mud, but the others seemed to be obsessed with it. They flew to large nearby rocks (nests, presumably) and on the banks of a fine river.

Attachments

• juv_pallid_swifts_ThermesMolitg_May2022.jpg
    juv_pallid_swifts_ThermesMolitg_May2022.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 53
  • Juvenile_PallidSwift_Molitg.jpg
    Juvenile_PallidSwift_Molitg.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
  • Pallid_Swift_adult_in_mud.jpg
    Pallid_Swift_adult_in_mud.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
  • Hawfind_Thermes_Molitg_May2022_gathering_mud.jpg
    Hawfind_Thermes_Molitg_May2022_gathering_mud.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 54
Perching on windowsills like shown in the pictures above seems to be typical for Crag Martins.

The swifts are all adult crag martins. The hawfinch is a hawfinch 👍🏻
Common swifts don't build with mud, and I don't imagine pallid swifts are any different.
Also, swifts (at least the European species) don't sit on the ground unless there's something wrong with them.

Also, swifts (at least the European species) don't sit on the ground unless there's something wrong with them.
I believe I was told that swifts cannot get airborne again after being on the ground when I was a lot younger (caused by them having legs that are much shorter than what is seen in the images). I assume this is still true?
Niels

Excellent and thank you for this information. Crag martins eh? Any images I could find of Pallid Swift did not show their legs so I was unsure.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back