• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Austria (1 Viewer)

Fernando

Hello!
I would thank some information about places to watch birds in Austria and Coatia.
The trip isn’t based on birds but I always carry my binoculars.
The idea is to travel to Venice and go to Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia, then spend some days in Viena and later tour Austria to Tirol for a few days and return to Venice. I would like to see birds such as: Nutcracker, Hazel grouse, Lesser Spotted eagle, Syrian and Middle Spotted woodpecker, Collared and Red-breasted flycatcher, Wallcreeper, Snowfinch, Rock Ptarmigan... and in general some other Alpine birds. I’m travelling with my family by a rented car, but I can walk or drive some short paths. That’s why I would thank usual locations of these birds.

Regarding to Croatia, I’m interested in locations of Rock partridge in the north area of the Dalmatian Coast.
I’m travelling in early June.
Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Seville (Spain).
Fernando del Valle

What is the intention of combination of different areas ?
Last year I visited Croatia.
I did not saw so much bird in Plitvice, nothing special.

For woodpeckers Lonsko Polje is very good.
For Collared Flycatcher is also not so bad place.
Other intersting places are Krka nationalpark, Vransko Ezero and of course Paklenica.
Nutcracker is very common in Tirol e.g. near Innsbruck in the valley Sellraintal, where You can drive with bus or car in higher areas like Fotsch ( 1.400 m, Praxmar, Luesens, St Sigmund ( 1.600 m ), Kuethai ( 2.000 m ).
For Red-breasted Flycatcher and Hazelgrouse I no only places in Bavarian ( quite rare bird there ).
Rock Patridge some chance in KrKa nationalpark.
Wallcreeper I saw in Tagliamento, where is the place for vultures ( Cornino ).

Not to bad for alpine birds is also East Tirol e.g. St. Jakob im Deferreggental.
From this place is a street to Staller Sattel ( 2.000 m ) and other hikes at south side of National Park Hohe Tauern.

Wallcreeper and other alpine birds I saw also on the way from Schlern ( South Tirol , Italy) to Tierser Alpl hut.
This is via ferrata, but very easy one.

Alpine birds I no more places in Bavarian near Tirol.
I do quite often tours there, but I am not a guide, just in my spartime.
If You like You can follow me.
Buy the way in this time is also good chance to see loons.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your answer, my intention is to combine a familiar trip with birdwatching.
Best regards
Fernando del Valle

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back