• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birecik: recent news about safety? (1 Viewer)

Hi to all,

has anyone been birding recently in Birecik area? Is there a safety feeling?

are the birding sites accessible?

is there a safe place to spend one night?

thanks

Check if the observations at observado are popping. Last year it was fine, met several birding groups, only the area away, south towards the border was unsafe - but no birds there anyway.

Beware only of Ahmed chasing you in his tractor to sell you $15 bird tour. I hope some birders will look at google maps and find alternative locality for See-see Partridge etc in another stream valley.

Hi to all,

has anyone been birding recently in Birecik area? Is there a safety feeling?

are the birding sites accessible?

is there a safe place to spend one night?

thanks

XavierVandevyvre,
sorry, this reply might be late. But Birecik is fine! I was there in late May and then again last week. And I was birding as a female on her own, with no problems at all. Yes, all the sites are accessible. It's a quite little town (except when there's a football match on TV!), and OK with the random birder coming through.

Places to stay: either Merkalem Hotel (on the main East-West road, on the West side of the bridge over the Euphrates, or else Acar Hotel, on the East side, just north of the main road. Both places can be found on a Google map, but neither have internet reservations possible, and no one speaks English there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back