• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bough Beech Reserve (1 Viewer)

Lawrie Hodges

Bough Beech Reserve is part of a reservoir in southwest Kent not far from Chartwell. The principal viewing area is the public road along a causeway crossing the northern end and along which many visitors park their cars. There are therefore no restrictions of time or any membership fee. For me, living in Biggin Hill, the reserve is about twenty to twenty five minutes drive and I often go there at odd times. The lake attracts many wildfowl, waders and gulls and the surrounding fields and woodland a wide range of other species. The Visitors' Centre, in an old Oast, is open between April and October. In the areas about it are a feeding station for small birds, school study areas and a viewing platform over the marsh area.
Rather than give further details myself I refer the interested reader to the website:
http://www.eurobirding.co.uk/bough_beech_reservoir.htm

Attachments

• bough beech reserve in winter.jpg
    bough beech reserve in winter.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 335
I think it is a good place to watch birds from especially if you are disabled like me.It can be very rewarding at times.you can nearly always see Little Ringed Plovers there,last year my wife and I watched 3 babies hatch from their eggs,they were that closeand
you just never know what will turn up.It's worth a quick visit if in the area

Thanks for posting that,Lawrie.
I regularly go into Kent to see some birds and this looks like one for the list.

As I often remark,the 'local knowledge' imparted by BF members is invaluable.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back