• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Braemar in late April (2 Viewers)

Julian61

I'm off to the Cairngorms for a couple of days at the end of April and was wondering if anyone knew the good areas to see interesting species. I'm guessing capercaillie will be tricky, but cresties, parrot crossbills, ptarmigan etc should be possible I'd hope. I'm based in Braemar and will be hiking in the hills for a couple of days, but should also have time for a car-based excursion at some point. Any help would be gratefully received!

Ptarmigan will be tricky, look on the Munro tops, but not Cairnwell as it's too busy as the ski lift takes walkers up there.

Ptarmigan will be tricky, look on the Munro tops, but not Cairnwell as it's too busy as the ski lift takes walkers up there.
Its still a very easy way to get up there and I have generally scored no matter what the time of year (last time - June - a male was on the concrete platform for the big aerial on the summit) so I'm not sure why you say that?

John

Its still a very easy way to get up there and I have generally scored no matter what the time of year (last time - June - a male was on the concrete platform for the big aerial on the summit) so I'm not sure why you say that?

John
We all have different experiences, I have found them tricky to find there, when there's no snow, it has been said that the consensus is that the Hares and Ptarmigan seem to stay closer to humans as they seem to know the Eagles stay away, so maybe they are getting used to people more. I would head towards Glas Maol myself.

Some of the species you mention will be easier to see from Speyside (Crested Tit) as there have only been a few records in Deeside, but they are known to have increased there in recent years.

For Ptarmigan, we went up the chairlift at Glenshee with the local RSPB group in July last year and didn’t see any, but there had been a family group around the top earlier in the day. I’ve also visited the top on previous occasions and seen them there. One location I have seen them regularly is on Ben Rinnes near Dufftown.

For Parrot Crossbill I’ve had luck in the Invercauld (Keiloch I think ) walkers car park just east of Braemar.

Drop me a private message or email ([email protected]) if you want some more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back