• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser Pirsch ED 8x34 short review (1 Viewer)

Royfinn

I decided to buy Bresser Pirsch ED 8x34 mainly for the GF (and partly for me). Price is around 300€, so it's in the segment with most competition. Long eye relief and low weight were important features. I have used it for few dark days without sunlight.

+
  • Pic quality is good, nothing to complain.
  • Weight is only 440g.
  • Eye relief is 17mm.
  • Double bridge design is nice
  • Focus rolls easily and smoothly.

-
  • FOV is only 7 degrees
  • Strap is way too big compared to the bin. I took strap from the Opticron Discovery and it's in better harmony.

Some reviewers have complained about glare problems, but with cloydy days only, i can't verify that problem.

Attachments

• DSCN1688.JPG
    DSCN1688.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 42
I had a Bresser Pirsch 8x34 in green color a few months ago and gifted it to one of my friends. I think the only differences between these binoculars are ED glass and the color of the armor. I really liked my pair of bins as well. Especially the rugged body and ergonomy I liked. I compared them with monarch 7 8x30 and the viewing comfort is much better with Bressers. I did not experience any glare as well (M7 is sometimes a glare monster). FOV was enough for me. The one thing I didn't like much about the Bresser is the metal finish of the focus wheel.

I had to return the Bresser Pirsch ED 8x34, because the (too tight) diopter wheel got unglued after a brief use. We were not totally happy with the bin overall, so I can't recommed it wholeheartedly in the 300€ segment.

I had to return the Bresser Pirsch ED 8x34, because the (too tight) diopter wheel got unglued after a brief use. We were not totally happy with the bin overall, so I can't recommed it wholeheartedly in the 300€ segment.
I am so sad to hear it. I also believe Bresser Pirsch ED 8x34 is not up to the 300 euro segment. I bought a non-ED version from AliExpress for 75 euros and it performed well for the price. When I compare it against my 300 euros Monarch 7 8X30, I could easily see a clear difference in overall image quality in Monarch 7. I thought the ED version would produce better images than the non-ED version. However, I really liked the ruggedness and the easy eye placement of the Bressers. But with your experience, it seems like they are having quality control issues as well. My earlier Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32 bought for 190 euros was so impressive regarding the optical performance and the build quality. Unfortunately, it showed me a "ring of fire" around the FOV. I think Nikon M7 8x30 and GPO passion ED 8x32 are better options in the 300-500 price segment.

A few years back I wanted a not too expensive, smaller yet more powerful configuration next to my standard binoculars (Kite lynx HD 8x42). I chose the Vortex Diamondback HD 10x32 (at the time €239). Though it fitted the bill in most respects, I became more and more annoyed that the eye relief for me - I wear eyeglasses - was insufficient. The FOV became much too narrow to be able to spot a small bird in the bushes in time. Also, I found the image a little dark, especially on cloudy autumn / winter days and in forrests.
So, I decided to look for a replacement and I am very happy to have found that in the Bresser Pirsch ED 10x34 (for €254)! (My father-in-law is now the happy owner of the Vortex, for watching his birdhouses in the trees from the balcony.)
The image is much (much!) brighter and colours are beautiful. Somehow the picture seems steadier/more quiet, probably because of the wider FOV I’m now getting. The eye relief is very large so it gives me no problem at all when wearing glasses. The build is very nice too, the open bridge lies very comfortable in hands, focussing is easy and the depth of view is great.
It comes with a comfortable wide neckstrap with clips, so you can easily hand your binos over, and a good bag (that closes with magnets, so no annoying sounds from velcro or zippers). But, as said, the two don’t combine well. I don’t mind, because I use my own small shoulderbag anyway. Also, the objective lens covers come off too easily, so I keep those in my bag when I take the bins out. So, some minor problems with the extras, but major advantages for the binoculars itself, imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back