• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brick-Eating Sparrows (2 Viewers)

gsimonel

United States
Never seen this before. A group of house sparrows in Reston, VA, USA are chomping on the brick siding of a local condominium complex. My guess is that some calcium carbonate is leaching out from the mortar holding the bricks together, and the sparrows are lapping it up.

Does make you wonder about the quality of the masonry work on the condos, though.

Attachments

• HouseSparrows_Rtn_12-17-23_7129.jpg
    HouseSparrows_Rtn_12-17-23_7129.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Either the masonry or insects. I saw something very similar at a boat house in Texas a few years ago. After the sparrow flew away we went up and saw a large amount of insects on the brick.

it's definitely the masonry mortar and the bricks they are pecking/eating. I have been battling this for years in Montgomery County, Maryland. Recently I installed reflective scare rods that i bought online. they are not expensive but their reflective spiral seems to deter the birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back