• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Call to arms: Nippon Kogaku 9x35 and 7x35 (1 Viewer)

HendrikJ

Netherlands
TLDR version: looking for a right eyepiece arm. See pic(s) below.

Recently bought a filthy Nippon Kogaku 9x35 Nikon that, it turns out, needs alignment as well as cleaning. Wanted one of these for a while so will try to enjoy the process. After several days of penetrating oil treatment the focuser, hinge and diopter adjuster finally moved again after initially being solidly stuck.

Started disassembly for a thorough cleaning. Finally a use for my 1 mm screwdriver - they like their tiny grub screws. Only after removing the IPD disc did I notice the right eyepiece arm was broken through at the hinge. Oh no :mad:! Didn’t notice it before because the everything was solidly stuck and the break was hidden by the IPD disc.

So now I’m looking for a replacement arm for the right, diopter adjusting, side. Hoping to avoid the expense of buying another binocular on eBay.

1. Does anyone on here have, or know of someone who does, a “junk”/damaged set from which I could buy this part for my 9x35? Would be happy to pay for the part and shipping.
2. Does anyone here know for a fact, from experience, if the eyepieces and arms can be swapped between similar NK-Nikon binoculars such as 7x35 and 9x35? I imagine swapping works but would like to be certain. This could open up my options for a replacement part or cheap pair.
3. Anyone tried using epoxy or JBWeld (metal dust filled epoxy) to repair such a break? Not a heavily loaded part and a clean break but I would rather avoid a dodgy repair on such a beautifully engineered and built pair of binoculars.
4. Any other (budget conscious) ideas? I've tried reaching out to a couple Japanese sellers on ebay without success.

Apologies for any errors - been quite ill the last week with a Covid infection. Today is my 1st day without a fever(y). Glad I was up to date on shots, dread to think how that would have gone otherwise.
IMG_5018 small.jpgIMG_5019 small.jpgIMG_1269.jpgIMG_1270small.jpg

Hendrik,

Yes, Nikon does like their little grub screws! Too bad about the broken EP arm. I have no experience with JBWeld, but you might try to find a shop near you that welds metal. They probably won't charge much for a small job.

I would think that the 7x35 and 9x35 would use the same parts. I had a Nikon 7x35 WF and 8x35 WF, and except for the magnificaiton, mechnically they were identical. I sold the 8x35 WF but still have the 7x35 WF. Quite remarkable that even with old coatings how sharp they are, and edges are also quite good for such a wide field (9.3*).

Glad you're a DIYer, that will save you money with older bins, which often need servicing.

Good Luck! with the N-K 9x35.
Brock

Last edited by a moderator:

Recently bought a filthy Nippon Kogaku 9x35 Nikon that, it turns out, needs alignment as well as cleaning. Wanted one of these for a while so will try to enjoy the process. After several days of penetrating oil treatment the focuser, hinge and diopter adjuster finally moved again after initially being solidly stuck.

Started disassembly for a thorough cleaning. Finally a use for my 1 mm screwdriver - they like their tiny grub screws. Only after removing the IPD disc did I notice the right eyepiece arm was broken through at the hinge. Oh no :mad:! Didn’t notice it before because the everything was solidly stuck and the break was hidden by the IPD disc.

So now I’m looking for a replacement arm for the right, diopter adjusting, side. Hoping to avoid the expense of buying another binocular on eBay.

1. Does anyone on here have, or know of someone who does, a “junk”/damaged set from which I could buy this part for my 9x35? Would be happy to pay for the part and shipping.
2. Does anyone here know for a fact, from experience, if the eyepieces and arms can be swapped between similar NK-Nikon binoculars such as 7x35 and 9x35? I imagine swapping works but would like to be certain. This could open up my options for a replacement part or cheap pair.
3. Anyone tried using epoxy or JBWeld (metal dust filled epoxy) to repair such a break? Not a heavily loaded part and a clean break but I would rather avoid a dodgy repair on such a beautifully engineered and built pair of binoculars.
4. Any other (budget conscious) ideas? I've tried reaching out to a couple Japanese sellers on ebay without success.

Apologies for any errors - been quite ill the last week with a Covid infection. Today is my 1st day without a fever(y). Glad I was up to date on shots, dread to think how that would have gone otherwise.
View attachment 1505687

View attachment 1505687
Very difficult to weld as the metal is magnesium alloy so easily burns.
The only success I had was to remove the paint from around the break, rough up the surface even more,
use metal repair epoxy resin glue on the broken ends (only a thin layer) then epoxy a thick washer to the top surface.
This will be covered by the IPD scale.

The only success I had was to remove the paint from around the break, rough up the surface even more,
use metal repair epoxy resin glue on the broken ends (only a thin layer) then epoxy a thick washer to the top surface.
This will be covered by the IPD scale.
I think you took the best option and at least you'll be able to use them until you can find an affordable donor. The only addition I would have thought of doing would have been drilling through both pieces and putting in a couple of pins at the same time as the epoxy fix was being done. However, it would be a job best tackled by a competent jeweler, and even then would still be not as good as replacing the whole piece. I bet you'll be fine with it, and will handle it extra gently now!

Here's an entire "family" of vintage Nikon and Nippon Kogaku porros including a 7x35 and a 9x35. Looks like he raided Fan Tao's Binoculars Museum! Check it out.

Brock

Hendrik,

Tinkering is one thing, however in this case I would get a better sample of the bay, and clean that one up. They are relatively low cost to purchase.

Tinkering is one thing, however in this case I would get a better sample of the bay, and clean that one up. They are relatively low cost to purchase.
That's the very rational approach, but sometimes people get enjoyment out of fixing something, and it seems that he is probably one of them. I support both routes.

Yes, J-B Weld with its high tensile strength (5020 PS) will certainly work. On the bottom side, you could extend a short, thin stainless steel bar across the crack and J-B Weld it into place for additional support. Preparing the surface is the key. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back