• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambodia- Ground Agents & Companions to share trip (1 Viewer)

Carol Rushton

Steve Curtis and I wish to visit Cambodia for the Key Birds, plus the Dolphin and some primates.
We have a lot of flexibility on dates, but ideally would like it to be within the next 2 years and preferably sooner rather than later.
Can anyone recommend any ground agents to use please ? I am aware of Sam Veasna.

We would be happy to team up with others who are keen to share a trip. I have an existing knee injury, but can comfortably walk up to 5 miles. Because of this injury I don't feel I could manage the terrain for the Laughing Thrush.

Key birds we hope to target are : Bengal Florican; Milky Stork; the 3 vultures at the feeding station; Great Ibis; Greater Adjutant etc.

Thank you.

Best regards, Carol

Hi Carol,

I'm planning a trip to Cambodia for early December 2023 and have received a few quotes for a 10-day trip. This does include the laughingthrush trek at the beginning of the trip but I think you could join the rest of the tour from Siem Reap. It's just me so I'd be very keen for some company and cost-sharing. Please PM me for more details if the timing works for you and Steve.

Best,

Abby

I would highly recommend Sam Veasna Centre to organise your logistics - not only the best in-country guides, best logistics, knowledge etc, but most importantly, the only ground operator that pours as much money as it does directly back into the conservation projects that you would visit. Without SVC (and their partner, WCS), you simply wouldn't be able to see Bengal Florican, Giant and White-shouldered Ibis, Greater Adjutant, vultures and Milky Stork in Cambodia as easily as you do.

You might well be able to get a comparable tour cheaper, but it wouldn't have the same conservation impact, and much of Cambodia's avifauna is so heavily reliant on ecotourism.

James

Hi Carol,

I'm planning a trip to Cambodia for early December 2023 and have received a few quotes for a 10-day trip. This does include the laughingthrush trek at the beginning of the trip but I think you could join the rest of the tour from Siem Reap. It's just me so I'd be very keen for some company and cost-sharing. Please PM me for more details if the timing works for you and Steve.

Best,

Abby
Hi Abby,

Thank you for your reply to my posting about Cambodia.

I sent you a PM earlier this morning and look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards, Carol

I would highly recommend Sam Veasna Centre to organise your logistics - not only the best in-country guides, best logistics, knowledge etc, but most importantly, the only ground operator that pours as much money as it does directly back into the conservation projects that you would visit. Without SVC (and their partner, WCS), you simply wouldn't be able to see Bengal Florican, Giant and White-shouldered Ibis, Greater Adjutant, vultures and Milky Stork in Cambodia as easily as you do.

You might well be able to get a comparable tour cheaper, but it wouldn't have the same conservation impact, and much of Cambodia's avifauna is so heavily reliant on ecotourism.

James
Thank you James for your most helpful response. I have previously read about Sam Veasna Centre's Conservation projects and it is much appreciated to receive your further endorsement.

Kind regards, Carol

In terms of targets / hopes for this trip, here are some further thoughts from Steve Curtis, below :

Most Wanted Birds

Bengal Florican
Sarus Crane
Giant Ibis
Red-headed Vulture
Slender-billed Vulture
White-shouldered Ibis
Greater Adjutant

Most Wanted Mammals

Iwarrady Dolphin
Black-shouldered Douc Langur
Southern Yellow-cheeked Crested Gibbon
Pileated Gibbon

Other Birds Would Like to See

Germain's Peacock- pheasant
Green Peafowl
White-winged Duck
Milky Stork
Spot-billed Pelican ( Carol seen previously)
Blyths Frogmouth
Oriental Bay Owl
White-rumped Pygmy Falcon
Yellow-breasted Bunting ( for Carol- Steve seen previously)
Lancelated Warbler
Black Eagle
Cambodian Tailorbird
Giant Hornbill ( both Carol and Steve seen previously )

Outside Chance of Seeing

Masked Finfoot
Pallas' Fish-Eagle
Indian Skimmer
Wreathed Hornbill ( Carol seen previously )
Asian Elephant ( Carol seen previously )
Leopard Cat ( Carol seen previously )
Eld's Deer

We both have a lot of flexibility about dates for travel and length of travel. We are keen to team up with others and can be flexible to try and help accomodate others. We would also consider teaming up with others for parts of a trip- eg if others wish to do the Aural Mountains for Cambodian Laughingthrush, which I am unable to do, or , for example if others are not keen to do say Kao Seima.

Kind regards, Carol

In terms of targets / hopes for this trip, here are some further thoughts from Steve Curtis, below :

Outside Chance of Seeing

Masked Finfoot
Pallas' Fish-Eagle
Indian Skimmer
Wreathed Hornbill ( Carol seen previously )
Asian Elephant ( Carol seen previously )
Leopard Cat ( Carol seen previously )
Eld's Deer
Unfortunately, I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but there's not even an outside chance of the first three species - finfoot it's wrong time of year (and even in right time of year, you won't be able to reach the areas easily). While eagle and skimmer are not found in the country.

Eld's Deer has undergone a monumental decline over past 10 years due to poaching, and only realistically possible now in Siem Pang. Elephant largely gone too now.

Wreathed Hornbill you have a good chance of seeing at Aural, Keo Siema or Bokor. Leopard Cat is very tricky in Cambodia, compared to other range countries.

Rest of your list looks fine,

James

Should that not be 'Black-shanked'?

We got this at Cat Tien in Vietnam.
Hi Andy,

Yes !

This was a combination of a typo, my fat fingers and typing whilst struggling to read Steve's Doctor-like handwriting, from his detailed notes. Thank you for the correction.

Our research tells us that the majority of the population are found in Cambodia, at Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary. There are smaller populations in Vietnam.

Thanks, Carol

What is unusual about Cambodia is that guides are licensed by the government and very professional and very reasonable. A guide with a car functions as a guide and a driver and an interpreter and the car works like a portable safe for valuables while you are out in the field.

First you need to decide what time of year to go there as the monsoon rains affect the ability to get around, the amount of mosquitoes, and waterfowl with Tonle Sap or Great Lake varying greatly in size during the year.

Unfortunately, I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but there's not even an outside chance of the first three species - finfoot it's wrong time of year (and even in right time of year, you won't be able to reach the areas easily). While eagle and skimmer are not found in the country.

Eld's Deer has undergone a monumental decline over past 10 years due to poaching, and only realistically possible now in Siem Pang. Elephant largely gone too now.

Wreathed Hornbill you have a good chance of seeing at Aural, Keo Siema or Bokor. Leopard Cat is very tricky in Cambodia, compared to other range countries.

Rest of your list looks fine,

James
Thank you, James, for your further input and advice, which Steve and I really appreciate.

Given our most wanted targets for both birds and mammals, what would your (and other people's ) advice be as to what time of year to time a trip for, please ? For example, we have read that the Bengal Florican is displaying and in breeding plumage between March and May and we would want to time a trip for trying to maximise our chances of getting good views of the Bengal Florican, the Iwarrady Dolphin, Sarus Crane and our other most wanted targets etc
Thank you.
Kind regards, Carol

Thank you, James, for your further input and advice, which Steve and I really appreciate.

Given our most wanted targets for both birds and mammals, what would your (and other people's ) advice be as to what time of year to time a trip for, please ? For example, we have read that the Bengal Florican is displaying and in breeding plumage between March and May and we would want to time a trip for trying to maximise our chances of getting good views of the Bengal Florican, the Iwarrady Dolphin, Sarus Crane and our other most wanted targets etc
Thank you.
Kind regards, Carol
If you want to see the floricans in display, then early March is a great time + it's an ideal time for many other species too. I wouldn't go after mid-March as the temperatures sky-rocket, and it's really dry with the onset of monsoon - even early March is noticeably hotter than mid-Feb even.
I enjoy late January/early Feb as it's still green and lush, cooler temperatures, and though you would see floricans, they won't be displaying.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back