• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone ascertain male/female for this Bay Woodpecker? Vietnam from early 2011 (2 Viewers)

sbarnhardt

Jack of a few trades Master of notta!
Opus Editor
United States
Good Day,

If anyone can offer an educated opinion on whether this Bay Woodpecker is male or female, I'd certainly appreciate hearing from you.
It was taken by member tony.saw in Vietnam in early 2011
Bay Woodpecker
I'm thinking maybe female, but would really appreciate an opinion from someone with more experience than I have.

Thanks!
sbarnhardt, aka Barney

Bay_Woodpecker.jpgBay_Woodpecker_2_TNESAW.jpg

Looks very much like a juvenile to me, it has no tail feathers so adult, gender features won't apply?

We had a hell of a job seeing this species, very shy and would dart from tree to tree, always in to deep cover.

Looks very much like a juvenile to me, it has no tail feathers so adult, gender features won't apply?

We had a hell of a job seeing this species, very shy and would dart from tree to tree, always in to deep cover.
I think the tail is there, Andy - it's just obscured by backlighting.

As for whether it's a juvenile, according to Woodpeckers of the World (Gorman), juveniles are "duller, with heavier barring on mantle, darker below and with pale streaks on dark crown", which I'm not really seeing here. It is very dark below but annamensis (if this bird was photographed in S Vietnam) is said to be very dark, "especially below". The text adds that even juvenile males show some red on the neck, which we should be able to see from this angle if it were present.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back