• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can Someone ID This Bird?? (1 Viewer)

Mandy

Newbie Birdwatcher
I saw this bird on the way back to the harbor after a whale watch. It was seen roughly between 1/2 -1 mile from shore. It didn't dive or anything like that while I was watching it. It just kind of rested there at the surface.

I have a bird book that I looked through and the closest resemblance that I can find is a Common Loon (winter plumage). Since this is July, I don't see how it would still have it's winter plumage.

Any ideas on what bird this is??
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/28614/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

- Mandy

Common Loon it is, probably a one-year old bird - they are too young to breed, so don't develop breeding plumage or go inland to the breeding lakes

Michael

Thanks, I was just about positive that it was a Common Loon, but the winter plumage wording in my book made me doubt myself.

Thanks again!! :)

- Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Pretty certain there was a Pacific Loon being seen off the NH coast recently - unfortunately this isn't it - if you go out again look out for a common loon with a thin black chin strap.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back